Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite A350 - Display driver stopped responding and has recovered

1. Satellite A350 - Display driver stopped responding and has recovered
    Beginner
    Hi guys

I am new to the forum

My Satellite A350 has recovered 3 times from this message above and each time I saw the blue screen.

I have checked that my BIOS driver is up to date by doing a Microsoft check of the driver.

The thing that I have done differently recently is that I attached a second monitor for study purposes as an extra reading screen...and I am wondering if this has caused the driver to fail and that I should not use it anymore (or for short periods only??)

Thanks for helping me :)

2. Re: Satellite A350 - Display driver stopped responding and has recovered
    Usage of external monitor is not “critical” and this is not the reason why this happen. In my opinion it must be some software related issue.
    Do you use some applications that need a real graphic performance?
    Do you use original Toshiba recovery image (OS delivered with the notebook)?
    Is Toshiba display driver preinstalled on this notebook?

3. Re: Satellite A350 - Display driver stopped responding and has recovered
    Beginner
    +Do you use some applications that need a real graphic performance?+
    I use Skype at times, I am browsing for articles, reading, running powerpoint, occasionally looking at 'video' instructions (but not at the times when the driver stopped responding.)

+Do you use original Toshiba recovery image (OS delivered with the notebook)?+
    I am running Vista home premium that came with the noteboook. I have not changed anything apart from download antivirus, put on Office Suite etc

+Is Toshiba display driver preinstalled on this notebook?+
    Everything was preinstalled and I have allowed all microsoft backups as they are required

4. Re: Satellite A350 - Display driver stopped responding and has recovered
    All you do is correct and there is nothing wrong. On this virtual way it is not easy to say what the problem can be.

In my opinion there is no reason for panic. These issues are annoying and if they will happen more often you can try to reinstall display driver or install recovery image again and start to use notebook with “factory settings” again.

Ok it is not so comfortable solution but definitely most effective.

One, maybe not so important question but I would like to know if your machine has two HDDs or maybe additional slot with SATA connector for second HDD?

5. Re: Satellite A350 - Display driver stopped responding and has recovered
    Beginner
    thank you :)

i agree that the virtual way is difficult - i appreciate your comments though.

if i had to install the display driver again, how do i know which display driver to find and what it's name is?

in the past 24 hours there have been no problems but i have shut the lid when not using the note book and it powers down. (powers up again when I open the lid)

I do have the original discs i made when i first set up the note book from new (and i do back up very regularly.) are these the recovery images that you are referring to?

i do not have 2 HDD but do have the SATA connector but have never connected it to a second HDD. i have used it at times to plug in a memory stick though. why do you ask as used it recently?

6. Re: Satellite A350 - Display driver stopped responding and has recovered
    Post please full notebook model name or model number and we can help you to find right display driver.

Second HDD? I ask this because Satellite A300 or A350 works perfectly with Win7 32 bit. Theoretically you can obtain second HDD. It must not be new, expensive and with big capacity. Put it inside and install Win7 32bit on this second HDD. So you will have two operating systems. At start you can choose which one you want to use and also set one of them as default.

You can use Vista for work and Win7 for private stuff. I do this on my A300 preinstalled with WXP and Win7. Win7 installation is quite simply and I can help you with this.

7. Re: Satellite A350 - Display driver stopped responding and has recovered
    Beginner
    sorry for delay
    *have had no problems recently which is good*
    Model number is Satellite A350
    I do have second hard drive for back and will think about Win 7 very interesting thank you