Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: HDD upgrade for Tecra A8

1. HDD upgrade for Tecra A8
    Beginner
    Hi,

In my laptop model Tecra A8 # PTA83L-02K014, current HDD is Fujitsu 60 GB SATA (mode# MHV2060BH).
    I want to upgrade it to 320GB/500GB.

Please suggest a replacement HDD.
    I cannot figure out which HDD I should buy.

Regards,
    kannit

2. Re: HDD upgrade for Tecra A8
    This old Tecra was delivered with several HDDs (from 60 up to 120GB). God thing is that this Tecra uses SATA HDDs so; generally speaking HDD upgrade should not be problematic.

Which HDD can you use? In my opinion HDD with around 300GB should be enough for this old piece of hardware. Just buy SATA 2,5” HDD. Talk with your local dealer and buy high quality product.

HDD replacement is not complicated and you can do it alone. If you need some help you are welcome.

3. Re: HDD upgrade for Tecra A8
    Beginner
    Thanks for your reply

So if I understand correctly, I can purchase any good quality 2.5" HDD and clone the stuff over from current HDD. There should not be any compatibility and fitting issues I hope?

Regards

4. Re: HDD upgrade for Tecra A8
    Master
    Hi

You can use any 2.5 SATA HDD since the SATA controller is not limited to an specific HDD size… so 250GB or even 500GB should not be a big problem

and cloning the HDD should be possible too.

5. Re: HDD upgrade for Tecra A8
    Beginner
    Hi,

I bought a Seagate 250GB SATA HDD to replace existing 60GB SATA HDD, cloned it over using Acronis but when I started the laptop, I got error "Error Loading Operating System" on a black screen. Clone was successful without any error message. There is no partition on my HDD.

I googled up this error message and found that this is due to BIOS setup which should be changed. However in my BIOS setup I could not find any option to change setup such that I can change HDD parameters.

Does this mean that Terca A8 cannot support this big HDD? Am I stuck with wrong HDD?

Regards

6. Re: HDD upgrade for Tecra A8
    Hi

No, I don’t think that the problem is the HDD size.
    Is the new HDD recognized in BIOS.
    If yes, then the HDD is supported for sure.

I think you should not have any problems installing the fresh Windows system on this HDD. Maybe you have to format and create an partition firstly before cloning the HDD.