Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Re: Satellite P850-12x loud "pop" sound comes from the left hand speaker

1. Satellite P850-12x loud "pop" sound comes from the left hand speaker
    Beginner
    You may or may not have seen my other issue with this laptop which resulted in a replacement unit.

Now for the replacement, i've had it for about a week and everything was perfect up until last night where i started hearing a crackling sound coming from one of the speakers. (At the time i was playing a racing game so the audio was engine sound, a particular range of engine note resulted in the speakers to crackle).

I was immediately concerned and turned the volume down and logged off. I came back today to test the issue and see if the problem persisted. While i have not heard the crackling sound today there is a very loud "pop" sound which comes from the left hand speaker.

The Pop sound occurs at the start or end of a sound being played. Regularly doing so at the end of a youtube video if the video is cut short by a change of webpage.

I don't want to have to request a replacement because of the hassle caused but may end up doing so if the problems cannot be resolved. I have noticed similar issues with other people's laptops on some forums so i am checking audio drivers and other software which could've created the problem.

2. Re: Satellite P850-12x loud "pop" sound comes from the left hand speaker
    Hi

Do you have an smart audio installed on your system?
    I read in one thread about more powerful sound which was produced from left speaker.
    The solution was to disable the 3d immersion option available in Smart Audio.

But if your speaker hardware is affected, then this option would be useless in your case…
    Maybe you would need to get in contact with the ASP again to solve this problem

3. Re: Satellite P850-12x loud "pop" sound comes from the left hand speaker
    Beginner
    I have found a pre-installed audio device. SRS Premium Sound 3D. *I have disabled it and haven't heard any popping since. So thank you for that.*

However, the crackling sound is still there.
    This crackling sound remains only at the highest of volume levels and can only be heard against certain sounds, e.g. car engine noise.

EDIT: The crackling comes mainly from the right hand speaker but seems present in both.

Message was edited by: aclarke91

4. Re: Satellite P850-12x loud "pop" sound comes from the left hand speaker
    Beginner
    I cannot seem to edit my post again so i will have to make a new post.

The popping has returned. I don't think disabling the SRS sound thing made a difference.

5. Re: Satellite P850-12x loud "pop" sound comes from the left hand speaker
    Well, did you try to re-install the sound driver?
    try that!

It would be also interesting to know if this crackling noise would be noticeable using headphones.
    It headphones are not affected, the issue might be related to speaker malfunction.

6. Re: Satellite P850-12x loud "pop" sound comes from the left hand speaker
    Beginner
    I'm having exactly the same problem, although mine is also coupled with a loud high pitched noise that is only stopped by muting the speakers. Any updates?

7. Re: Satellite P850-12x loud "pop" sound comes from the left hand speaker
    Beginner
    Hi i also have this same problem with my sattelite the high pitched sound that can only be stopped by muting the sound. It starts off very low and then becomes extremely loud and speakers have to be muted and is happening very often now.someone please help iff you can i really dont want to have to go through the whole warranty sending back procedure.

8. Re: Satellite P850-12x loud "pop" sound comes from the left hand speaker
    Beginner
    *I can confirm that after a full format of my win 7 OS the loud screeming sound has now definetly gone*
    and this is due to not installing the Audio enhanced driver for the laptop but instead just using the windows auto assigned driver.

I think i may be missing some features of the enhanced SRS audio but it doesnt seem that noticeable.