Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege R700 - How to replace the Optical Disc Drive?

1. Portege R700 - How to replace the Optical Disc Drive?
    Beginner
    Hi,
    I would like to replace the optical disk drive (ODD) with a Solid State Drive (SSD) on my Portege R700.
    So my first question is : what is the way to remove the ODD?

And my second question is: can I replace it with a HDD Caddy like ICY BOX IB-AC642 or Akasa AK-OS2SSA-BK?
    Will the caddy's SATA interface fit with the ODD interface?

Thank you for your answer

2. Re: Portege R700 - How to replace the Optical Disc Drive?
    Master
    Hi

It’s really tricky because the ODD is placed inside and to remove this you have to remove all screws fixing the bottom cover.

I would not do that since you would lose the warranty.
    Additionally I doubt you could get the second HDD to work in the ODD bay.
    I think this is not supported…
    Just the notebook’s like Portégé M400, M700, M750, Tecra M9, S3 or S4 with an slim select bay support would handle the 2nd HDD instead of ODD.

3. Re: Portege R700 - How to replace the Optical Disc Drive?
    Beginner
    Hi,
    Thank you for your time.

I understand why I couldn't find the good Toshiba's video explaining "the screw" to remove like other notebook's you mentioned ;-)

Do you know if my Portege R700 is the same "shape" than the Portege R835-P56X?

I found out a post explaining how to put a second HDD on it (http://forum.notebookreview.com/toshiba/589654-guide-replacing-optical-drive-bay-portege-r835-p56x-hdd-caddy.html).
    Do you think it could work for me? (even if I loose the warranty, my notebook is now almost 2 years old and it doesn't matter).
    Best regards

4. Re: Portege R700 - How to replace the Optical Disc Drive?
    Hi

It seems that this is possible…
    Here an similar thread in this forum:
    http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=63789

The user TrackSmart was able to upgrade the R705 (it the R700 but for US market) with an second HDD drive.