Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Libretto W100-106 (UK) model questions - 3G, Windows 7, etc.

1. Libretto W100-106 (UK) model questions - 3G, Windows 7, etc.
    Beginner
    Hello forum,

Just purchased a brand-new W100-106 (old stock but sealed package, latest BIOS, etc.) and have a few questions I'd like to ask if that's okay.

Absolutely LOVE using this machine but would like to know:

1. Is there any way at all I can upgrade the machine to have the 3G module sold in the W100-10D on the continent (Italy and Germany only I think) ?

The trade parts page on Topaz support shows me many modem boards if I search on "any of" 3G and HSDPA. Which one belongs to the Libretto W100?

I probably need a "real" connecting PCB rather than the dummy one fitted in the W100-106. Any idea what the part numbers are?

2. The U5400 is a Core i3 derivative CPU with x64 instruction support. Will the libretto W100 run Windows 7 64-bit?

3. Is there any intention to support Windows 8 fully, i.e. some fix for metro apps needing more than a 1024 * 600 screen res, possibly by combining the two lcd screens to form one desktop? Any chance Microsoft will fix the issues for the official Windows 8 release later this year?

Thanks very much in advance!

2. Re: Libretto W100-106 (UK) model questions - 3G, Windows 7, etc.
    >1. Is there any way at all I can upgrade the machine to have the 3G module sold in the W100-10D on the continent (Italy and Germany only I think) ?

Well, possibly you could do that since the 3G module is an miniPCI removable part.
    As far as I know the W100-10H was equipped with such module
    I found one compatible 3G F3607gw module part number: P000531030

>2. The U5400 is a Core i3 derivative CPU with x64 instruction support. Will the libretto W100 run Windows 7 64-bit?

According to the Intel Ark page the CPU support the 64bit instruction set so Win 64bit should work
    http://ark.intel.com/products/49156/Intel-Pentium-Processor-U5400

>3. Is there any intention to support Windows 8 fully, i.e. some fix for metro apps needing more than a 1024 * 600 screen res, possibly by combining the two lcd screens to form one desktop? Any chance Microsoft will fix the issues for the official Windows 8 release later this year?

I think this can be answered by Toshiba only and not by community members.
    But I think you should wait for Win 8 release and should check if the drivers would be available for this unit

3. Re: Libretto W100-106 (UK) model questions - 3G, Windows 7, etc.
    Beginner
    Thanks Tom.

I'll leave the thread unanswered in case anyone else has a contribution to make.

4. Re: Libretto W100-106 (UK) model questions - 3G, Windows 7, etc.
    You can mark the thread answered but it will be still open.

+For Admin: please donít close the thread+