Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: STOR.E CANVIO 2.5 1TB Sleep fix

1. STOR.E CANVIO 2.5 1TB Sleep fix
    Beginner
    hi
    i have a STOR.E CANVIO 2.5 1TB (HDTC610EK3B1)
    http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/jsp/individualOptions.do?service=UK&selCategory=112276 2&oldCategory=1122762&OPTION_ID=1119584&toshibaSho p=true

the problem is the drive sleep ever time and thin and i am looking for solution for this problem
    i want it to be always on
    is there a firmware to fix this

thank you

2. Re: STOR.E CANVIO 2.5 1TB Sleep fix
    Beginner
    This is form support email

************************************************** ************************************************** ******************
    Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding your Toshiba Canvio hard drive.

We can confirm that there are no firmware downloads available for Toshiba external hard drives. The operating (power-saving) nature of the drive is due to the way it has been built. Therefore, we can confirm that this cannot be modified.
    ************************************************** ************************************************** ******************

any one better than toshiba support can solve this problem

Message was edited by: amk316

3. Re: STOR.E CANVIO 2.5 1TB Sleep fix
    Beginner
    any one want to buy a useless toshiba HD!!!

4. Re: STOR.E CANVIO 2.5 1TB Sleep fix
    Beginner
    Quote Originally Posted by amk316 View Post
    This is form support email

Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding your Toshiba Canvio hard drive.

We can confirm that there are no firmware downloads available for Toshiba external hard drives. The operating (power-saving) nature of the drive is due to the way it has been built. Therefore, we can confirm that this cannot be modified.

any one better than toshiba support can solve this problem

Message was edited by: amk316

Thanks a lot for this important information! It's a shame, they are obviously unwilling to help with this problem. I am sure it would be possible via firmware.

5. Workaround for Windows, without requiring any 3rd party software
    Beginner
    Hi!

I had the same problem with my two Stor.e Canvio Desktop USB hard drives (4TB and 2TB): they went to sleep very often, and when I tried to open them or do anything with them again, it either simply took much too long, or my Windows Explorer even crashed. (I am using Win 8.1 64bit on an Acer Aspire notebook.)

I wrote a message to the Toshiba support, and they replied as follows:
    "I recommend the following: Open start menu. In the search box write 'Device manager'; choose 'Device Manager' from the search results; there you choose 'universal serial bus controllers'; please click with the right mouse button on 'Generic USB Hub', choose 'poperties' -> 'Power management' and disable the option 'allow the computer to turnoff this device to save power'. Click 'OK'. I did this for both 'universal serial bus controllers' I found in Device Manager.

By now, it actually seems to work: my HDs do not sleep any more, so my explorer does not crash anymore when trying to open them.
    I still find it annoying that they do not offer a firmware or tool to change the settings of the drive itself; but the workaround suggested above at least has the advantage of not requiring any 3rd party tools.