Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: AT300 / External SD-Karte is Read-Only?

1. AT300 / External SD-Karte is Read-Only?
    Beginner
    If I use a external SD-Karte with the Stock File Manager I have read & write rights. With other File Manager, like OI, I have only read rights. I thing it's a bug, because on my Sony Ericcson Arc S it work's fine. Is there any solution?

2. Re: AT300 / External SD-Karte is Read-Only?
    Akuma
    Do you see the same problem with Astro file manager?

3. Re: AT300 / External SD-Karte is Read-Only?
    Beginner
    Yes - the Astro File manager has the same Problem. The access to the external SD is Read-Only.

4. Re: AT300 / External SD-Karte is Read-Only?
    Enthusiast
    This is (sadly) a typical Behaviour and probably wanted on Android Tablets. Some Manufacturers like Samsung "hack" Android to circumvent this write protection, toshiba apparently doesn't.

I read that it would help to format the SD-Card with the exFAT Filesystem (i.e. with a Windows 7 PC). (Seems to be the same for AT200, which I own and AT300).

But I didn't try out if that really works, also the usability of the SD-Card in other devices would be limited after that.

5. Re: AT300 / External SD-Karte is Read-Only?
    Enthusiast
    The problem seems to affect many android tablets which address the (inserted) sdcard with /mnt/sdcard2.

If I understand correctly, this behaviour is by design unless a manufacturer decides to circumvent it (which toshiba does not).

People in other forums wrote that writing with 3rd party apps would be possible when the SD card is formatted with the file system exFAT (which can I.e. be done in Windows 7).

I did not try it out yet though.

Sources:
    http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Excite-Tablets/SDCARD2-not-writeable/td-p/313476
    http://www.thriveforums.org/forum/toshiba-thrive-development/12995-at300-101-ice-4-0-3-rooting-possible.html

If you decide to try it out It would be nice if you could give feedback here whether this worked or not.

6. Re: AT300 / External SD-Karte is Read-Only?
    Beginner
    Thanks!

I have formatted my SD-Card under Windows 7 with exFAT and now it works.

Tested with: OI-File Manager