Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite C670 - monitor: gamma setting too high on startup

1. Satellite C670 - monitor: gamma setting too high on startup
    Beginner
    I have a Toshiba Satellite C670, win7 64bit. I've had it for about a month. Monitor drivers are at the most recent available version.

I've recently noticed a problem with the monitor's gamma settings. On startup, the screen is brighter than it should be. When I go to monitor settings / colour improvements and I change gamma from its default 1.0 to, for instance, 0.9, I see the screen darken (considerably) in 2 distinct but fast steps. Changing the gamma back to 1.0 makes the screen go brighter in one (small) step, and the end result is darker than before I changed anything.

Increasing gamma to 1.1 or 1.2 also gives me a darker result than the "reported" gamma of 1.0 at startup; from my estimation, the gamma at startup is about the same as when I manually set it to 1.3.

However, when I set gamma to, for instance, 0.9, at startup the screen will be back at about 1.3 " real gamma" again. Ofcourse I could shuffle the gamma control back and forth every time I start up my laptop, so that gamma 1.0 is indeed as dark as it should be, but surely I shouldn't have to do this? I use the laptop mainly for photo editing so it's pretty important to my use of the laptop to have correct gamma.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,
    Bart

2. Re: Satellite C670 - monitor: gamma setting too high on startup
    Master
    Hi

From my own experience every display supports different properties.
    As far as I know monitor manufacturers store gamma, color information inside the monitors which is being used by the graphics card drivers.

For common usage its ok but for people who do imaging there are different tools which helps you to manage such settings.

I recommend you testing an tool called “QuickMonitorProfile”
    Its free and allows you to create the most commonly used working space profiles. It is also possible to create a monitor profile.

Google for this