Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite C855-1GR - No HDD Recovery Partition Error - But there is!

1. Satellite C855-1GR - No HDD Recovery Partition Error - But there is!
    Beginner
    I shrank the C: Partition without touching the hidden Recovery partition (First partition on the HDD) and made a new D: partition for data.

Now the recovery program fails to find the recovery partition which is still intact and unchanged.

How can I get a recovery USB drive made now?

Is it possible to change the drive letter of the hidden partition so that the recovery program finds it?

2. Re: No HDD Recovery Partition Error - But there is!
    Master
    I don’t know which OS do you use but first partition has nothing to do with Toshiba recovery files. First partition is WinRE partition and it belongs to operating system.

Your posting doesn’t offer some important info for better understanding.

Which notebook model do you have exactly?
    Which OS is preinstalled on it?
    Is preinstalled OS original OS that you’ve got with your notebook?

3. Re: No HDD Recovery Partition Error - But there is!
    Beginner
    Model is C855-1 GR and it was pre-loaded with Windows 7 Home Premium Edition.

That is the OS on there now as I only bought the machine 2 days ago. The first partition is 1.46GB.

That partition is Healthy (Active Recovery Partition) according to the manager. It is not visible in Windows.

Maybe before I added the D: partition it's hidden drive letter was E:

I seem to remember that the optical drive was D: and I changed it to E:, making the new partition from the shrunk C; + the last un-lettered partition, in to a D: partition.

The HDD is now set up as follows:

First partition - no change (no letter) ; Second, C:\ ; last D:\

The optical drive is E:

I am wondering if I made the first partition E: whether the software would recognize it.

4. Re: No HDD Recovery Partition Error - But there is!
    Master
    I’m afraid you have screwed-up everything.
    First 1.46GB partition has nothing to do with Toshiba recovery partition. It is created by Win7.

Toshiba recovery image is about 4-6GB capacity and cannot be even saved on such small partition.
    >Now the recovery program fails to find the recovery partition which is still intact and unchanged.
    I believe this. At first should be created recovery disc and then when you have it in the hand you can change original HDD partitions structure.

If you have time read last posting on http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=140985

5. Re: No HDD Recovery Partition Error - But there is!
    Beginner
    This computer must have a different arrangement because:

The first partition was/is definitely marked as a Healthy Primary (Active Recovery Partition) - 1.36 GB

The second partition is marked as a Health Primary C: - 650+ GB

The third was marked as Healthy Primary without a letter - 8GB (about)

Only C; was visible in windows.

This information was from the Disc Management.

I can understand what you say as I always make a separate boot partition when I install an OS myself. However, cannot understand why that partition is marked as a Recovery one if it is not.

I cannot also understand why the recovery would be put on the C: drive as you suggest in the post you refer to.

I could understand if the recovery was on the third partition but not why it was not marked as such.

6. Re: No HDD Recovery Partition Error - But there is!
    > The first partition was/is definitely marked as a Healthy Primary (Active Recovery Partition) - 1.36 GB

The first partition is created automatically by Win 7. Its not recovery partition but this partition is used by Win 7 only to repair the system or to set the OS back to early time point!

> The second partition is marked as a Health Primary C: - 650+ GB
    This is the system partition containing the Win 7 OS

> The third was marked as Healthy Primary without a letter - 8GB (about)
    This partition contain the HDD recovery image… it will be used to recover the system back to factory settings and the files are needed also to create a recovery disk.

7. Re: No HDD Recovery Partition Error - But there is!
    Beginner
    Yes That makes sense. But still strange wording on first partition which confuses. If that wording was on the last partition then I would have made a recovery disc first.

With hindsight it all falls into place.

If Toshiba read this - please make a data partition so people don't lose all their data if the system crashes.

Boot partition
    OS partition
    Recovery partition

Name them as such.

I would also like to know if a recovery is needed after splitting C: into 2 partitions, would the recovery system delete the new partition and resurrect C; as one partition?

8. Re: No HDD Recovery Partition Error - But there is!
    Beginner
    I have decided that once the system needs recovery, to install a professional copy of windows 7 or 8.

9. Re: No HDD Recovery Partition Error - But there is!
    > I would also like to know if a recovery is needed after splitting C: into 2 partitions, would the recovery system delete the new partition and resurrect C; as one partition?

Usage of Recovery disk would format the whole HDD. Also all partitions would be deleted and created once again. You would get the same HDD state like at the first day of purchase.

10. Re: No HDD Recovery Partition Error - But there is!
    Beginner
    Then Toshiba are selling a very poor product!

I create a valuable data and if I have to replace the OS I lose all my data :(

I have had 3 other Toshiba machines. This is the first I have bought that was not professional and the first which did not have a D: data partition.

11. Re: No HDD Recovery Partition Error - But there is!
    You are wrong buddy…
    Don’t compare the recovery disk with an simple system disk…

Recovery disk is used to set the notebook back to factory settings…to the same state like at the first day of purchase… and THIS requires the option to format the HDD and to reinstall everything again…

Every Toshiba notebook supports also an HDD recovery option…
    Usage of HDD recovery would format ONLY the C partition and would not touch other partitions…

12. Re: No HDD Recovery Partition Error - But there is!
    Beginner
    MasterG,

Do the recovery media dvds allow you to restore just the toshiba software/drivers etc, without windows? My laptop which I bought (win 32/64) came loaded with windows 32, and I would like to reinstall windows 64 - but then I don't know how to get all the other toshiba drivers and software down.

My understanding from your answer is that if I use the recovery dvds - it will just return everything back to windows 32, as it came.

13. Re: No HDD Recovery Partition Error - But there is!
    Master
    > Do the recovery media dvds allow you to restore just the toshiba software/drivers etc, without windows?

The recover dvd install the image…
    Image is an package containing the Windows system, Toshiba driver, tools, utilities and all other stuff which was preinstalled on your notebook…

>My understanding from your answer is that if I use the recovery dvds - it will just return everything back to windows 32, as it came.

Right!

14. Re: Satellite C855-1GR - No HDD Recovery Partition Error - But there is!
    Beginner
    Thanks for the clarifictaion.

What I don't understand is that the 4th disk of the recovery disks says windows rcovery environment(64bit) but when i look at the computer system paramters it says it is 32 bit installed.

I am trying to figure out how i can get everything like it is except to have 64 bit installed and not 32 bit. I am not sure whether to run recovery or not - whether it will ask me to chose between 32 or 64 bit.

15. Re: Satellite C855-1GR - No HDD Recovery Partition Error - But there is!
    Master
    Hi

Many notebook series are preinstalled with Win 32bit or Win 64bit but the recovery disk contains both versions… so during the recovery procedure you can choose between 32bit or 64bit…

16. Re: Satellite C855-1GR - No HDD Recovery Partition Error - But there is!
    Beginner
    Thanks for your help - I will try and reload.

17. Re: Satellite C855-1GR - No HDD Recovery Partition Error - But there is!
    Beginner
    Hi,

I have spent some time doing my reading on the issues that can be found with recovery options. My quick question to you is are you familiar with an error that is generated during the recovery process that stalls with the details "Error F3-F900-000" recovery cannot continue?

Somehow the machine has been avoiding entering the traditional '0' and the best i can do is ensure the recovery part (12gb) is not hidden and carrys the boot attribute only with out any further formatted partitions. It is difficult to find someone to spare a moment to offer me some quick advice and hope that you may momentarily shed some light on my error. I suspect somehow the recovery partition has been damaged or affected or by generation of recovery dvds (lost) has negated the revobery partition.

Thanks so much fellow tech. Mike

18. Re: Satellite C855-1GR - No HDD Recovery Partition Error - But there is!
    Beginner
    I restored my machine for the hard disk recovery. It gave me the option to choose between windows 32 and 64 bit - which was the problem I had. that worked perfectly for me. But it is a new computer so there was no corruption anywhere - it was more me just trying to understand how it had been setup. So sorry can't help on the error you are getting.