Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Recovery disc installs but then says cant install on Equium A100-02L

1. Recovery disc installs but then says cant install on Equium A100-02L
    Beginner
    Hi , i am new to this so any help greatly appreciated.

I have an Equium A100 02L model PSAAQE OOPOOKAV
    The hard drive completely failed so i have purchased a new hard drive and installed it , then used the Toshiba Windows Vista recovery disc... all good so far !

Once installation has completed with no errors along the way , the laptop reboots and starts windows , during windows initial setup i get an error message saying "windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computer's hardware" .....

I have tried reinstalling in case it was a glitch but same thing every time ..... any advice and help please

2. Re: Recovery disc installs but then says cant install on Equium A100-02L
    Master
    Did you use the right Recovery disk released for the Equium A100 PSAAQE?
    Be sure you used right disk because the image on the disk contains also the drivers and if the drivers would not be compatible with the notebook, the system would crash.

3. Re: Recovery disc installs but then says cant install on Equium A100-02L
    Beginner
    Yes its the recovery disc that was provided with the laptop , laptop had vista on and has vista stickers all over it
    the recovery disc has a code GMR400728EN1 on it but thats about all ??

4. Re: Recovery disc installs but then says cant install on Equium A100-02L
    Master
    It looks like the recovery disk GMR400728EN1 was released for Equium A100 with part number PSAAN and PSAAR.

Equium A100 PSAAN was equipped with INTEL 943GML graphic
    Equium A100 PSAAR was equipped with NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7600
    and your Equium A100 PSAAQE was equipped with Mobile Intel® 945GM chipset

Not quite sure if this would be a problem but possibly the Recovery disk is not compatible due to the drivers which are part of the image.
    If driver does not match the hardware, the system would not be able to handle the driver and this could cause the configuration problems.

At the other hand I could be wrong and there is just something wrong with the HDD.

But I think you should take another Microsoft disk (vista, win 7) and could try to install the system without the included drivers… would be interesting to know if this helps.

5. Re: Recovery disc installs but then says cant install on Equium A100-02L
    Beginner
    wow ok your way above my level tony but i i do get what your saying !
    Ok silly question where the hell do i get another disc from ??
    Will be very annoyed if the original supplied disc is wrong ... but happened to a friend of mine but he got it replaced under warranty ... mine is way out !

Little worried about shelling out for a new disc that may not work :(

Any suggestions ??

6. Re: Recovery disc installs but then says cant install on Equium A100-02L
    Master
    > Little worried about shelling out for a new disc that may not work

It was just an idea… I’m not quite sure if this is really and recovery disk issue…therefore I recommended to install Windows using Microsoft disk… just for some testing purposes… maybe you could borrow such disk from a friend and could test it on your notebook…

It would be also interesting to know if another HDD would work properly.

By the way: you could try to boot once again using the recovery disk but before doing this sets the BIOS to default.

7. Re: Recovery disc installs but then says cant install on Equium A100-02L
    Beginner
    Tony your help is greatly appreciated i am currently trying a recovery disc from a neighbour who spookily hasa toshiba A100 but an older version using windows xp ... giving it a try anyway !

As for the Equium A100 PSAAQE being equipped with Mobile Intel® 945GM chipset how can i find the correct recovery disc number and where can i get one ?? cheaper the better lol

8. Re: Recovery disc installs but then says cant install on Equium A100-02L
    Beginner
    Tony , the older windows XP recovery disc has worked !!! does this mean the recovery disc Toshiba shipped with the laptop is the wrong one ?

Not a deal i can do now i know as its too old but very annoying !

9. Re: Recovery disc installs but then says cant install on Equium A100-02L
    Master
    > does this mean the recovery disc Toshiba shipped with the laptop is the wrong one ?
    This could be possible… didn’t you use this disk in the past?

Anyway, I doubt you could purchase or order a new Recovery disk for this Equium A100 because of the notebook age… I think it’s already discontinued…

10. Re: Recovery disc installs but then says cant install on Equium A100-02L
    Beginner
    No never used it before ..... hmmm so i have windows xp and audio device i cant update as its for vista only too !

Any suggestions as to how i can get my hands on the correct recovery disc if toshiba cant help ? also how i can find the correct part number so i know what to look / ask for ?

11. Re: Recovery disc installs but then says cant install on Equium A100-02L
    You will not be able to order the recovery disk for this notebook anymore because of the notebook age…
    Maybe you can look on Ebay for a Recovery disk for Equium A100 PSAAQE

But I don’t recommend this…in your case I would use an clean Microsoft Windows disk to install the windows system and all Toshiba drivers can be downloaded from driver page

12. Re: Recovery disc installs but then says cant install on Equium A100-02L
    Master
    MisterX is right. Your notebook is pretty old and you will not be able to order original recovery disc. Your Equium is good supported and you can install own OS. On Toshiba download page you can find all necessary drivers, tools and utilities for all supported operating systems.

I think your notebook will work perfectly with Win7 32bit. I’ve checked Toshiba download page and there you can find all drivers, tools and utilities for it.

13. Re: Recovery disc installs but then says cant install on Equium A100-02L
    Beginner
    Many thanks for your advice , i must admit i found someone on ebay ( before you posted ) who sold the exact recovery disc i needed ..... however as you rightly say it did not work.

Do i need to buy a vista disc to be safer ? and presume i just need the original windows disc and use the licence key on my laptop ?

Can i buy just a disc or will this be ebay again ?

Many thanks in advance

Jules :)

14. Re: Recovery disc installs but then says cant install on Equium A100-02L
    Beginner
    Thanks for the advice alas i had already bought a disc on ebay .. exact right one marked for my model but as you rightly said it did not work.

Going to try and source a windows Vista disc now !! wish me luck

15. Re: Recovery disc installs but then says cant install on Equium A100-02L
    >Going to try and source a windows Vista disc now !! wish me luck

Good luck…