Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: HDD Recovery - Satellite P300-1GQ

1. HDD Recovery - Satellite P300-1GQ
    Beginner
    Is it possible to perform recovery of factory default software or recovery to out-of-box state for my laptop – Satellite P300-1GQ?

I’ve used Toshiba HDD Recovery Tool and it only formatted the C partition leaving the partition D unchanged. Vista is running smoothly, all data on D partition are available. I could just format the partition D but the catch is that the folder titled “HDD recovery” is stored on D partition. Back in 2009 when I purchased my laptop I created the HDD Recovery DVD’s as instructed. I could use them and format the entire hard disk but the information I got from the support technician in my country told me that the new “HDD recovery” folder would not be created.

I just want to wipe the entire drive and perform fresh installation, having again “HDD recovery” folder on D partition of the disk, in short: as it is now. Is this possible or not?

2. Re: HDD Recovery - Satellite P300-1GQ
    Master
    > Is it possible to perform recovery of factory default software or recovery to out-of-box state for my laptop – Satellite P300-1GQ?

It is possible:
    Either by doing a HDD recovery or using Recovery disk

As far as I know using Recovery disk the whole HDD would be formatted and would be set back to the same state like at the first day of purchase… this would mean that HDD recovery folder and HDD recovery option should be available even if using the Recovery disk!

3. Re: HDD Recovery - Satellite P300-1GQ
    Master
    Yes it is possible but if you use recovery DVD only. When you use recovery disc whole hdd will be formatted, new partitions created, recovery image copied on partition D and then recovery image installed on partition C.

If you have more questions you are welcome.

4. Re: HDD Recovery - Satellite P300-1GQ
    Beginner
    Excellent! Thank you both for your response. I have one more question: will the Toshiba HDD Recovery tool still be available (located in the system recovery options) for any future system recoveries if I decide not to use recovery DVD's?

5. Re: HDD Recovery - Satellite P300-1GQ
    Master
    >will the Toshiba HDD Recovery tool still be available (located in the system recovery options) for any future system recoveries if I decide not to use recovery DVD's?
    A bit confusing question.

Fact is: when you use recovery DVD the notebook will have “factory settings” again. With other words “HDDRecovery” folder will be saved on partition D and you will be able to use HDD recovery option (image installation using F8 at start-up).
    Recovery DVDs are just a kind of back-up if HDD recovery will not work for some reason.

Sorry if I didn’t offer right answer but I hope you have understand how it works.

6. Re: HDD Recovery - Satellite P300-1GQ
    Beginner
    To be honest, the difference between the recovery DVD and a recovery HDD tool was confusing. Vista ran for 2,5 years before I had to reinstall it. And that was the moment when the confusion started.

I thought recovery DVD’s I made 2,5 years ago should be used if and when a recovery HDD tool fails. And I thought those two options were going to do the same thing: format the entire drive i.e. return the laptop to factory settings (I’ve done this countless times with XP and I know the drill).

But I was really surprised when I saw recovery HDD tool formatting only partition C (where Vista is). I thought I made a mistake (didn’t check a box or something) and ran the process again.
    But no, this tool only formats C i.e. the partition where OS is.

I checked the manual and there was no reference about formatting only one partition but the entire drive itself. In fact the description for both options (recovery DVD and a recovery HDD tool) where the same.

I think they forgot to mention what happens if you have two or more partitions.

Then I called support for Toshiba (in my country) and they told me that if I use the recovery DVD’s I will return the laptop to factory settings but without HDD recovery folder on D. And again I was more confused :)

So, that is the reason why I asked you the second question :)

7. Re: HDD Recovery - Satellite P300-1GQ
    Master
    > Then I called support for Toshiba (in my country) and they told me that if I use the recovery DVD’s I will return the laptop to factory settings but without HDD recovery folder on D. And again I was more confused
    >So, that is the reason why I asked you the second question

Yes this might be very confused but I also think that the HDD recovery partition/folder should be available (or created again) using the Recovery DVD disk