Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Tecra M10-17U use second HDD in the ODD bay

1. Tecra M10-17U use second HDD in the ODD bay
    Beginner
    Hi,

I'm trying one of this popular caddy's that allows me to put a second hard drive in the optical slot bay, I use a Sata to Sata adapter, so there is not really an adapter besides connecting properly:

[http://www.akasa.co.uk/update.php?tpl=product/product.detail.tpl&no=181&type=Enclosures&type_sub =2.5%20Enclosure&model=AK-OA2SSA-BK]

My problem is with Toshiba BIOS that is expecting a ODD device in that Sata port and cames out with a "CD-ROM error", disabling the Sata port.

I have a workaround, if I start the PC, after BIOS post with anything in ODD bay, after starting Windows, I insert the second HDD in the ODD bay, go to "Windows Device Manager" do a "Check for hardware changes" and voilá, the second HDD is working fine, to me this proves a BIOS limitation.

Is there any help, a Beta BIOS or something else, I have the last BIOS 3.00 for this machine installed.

2. Re: Tecra M10-17U use second HDD in the ODD bay
    Master
    Please check this thread:
    http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=39412

It seems that Tecra M10 does not support an select bay which would allow you to use an 2nd HDD instead of ODD.
    As far as I know select bay is supported on Tecra M1, M2, M3, M4, M5, S1, S2

3. Re: Tecra M10-17U use second HDD in the ODD bay
    Beginner
    I am aware of that optional from the Toshiba, never herd of the select bay until now, in any case I'm using an aftermarket product from Akasa, and it works as I described, there is no real reason for Toshiba not have a select bay for this model unless they do not want to. The only problem seems to me to be a BIOS issue.

4. Re: Tecra M10-17U use second HDD in the ODD bay
    Master
    > The only problem seems to me to be a BIOS issue.

Right… I agree with you… but how you want to solve this if there is no BIOS which would support this?
    There are some Select bay HDD adapters from Toshiba like [Toshiba PA3408U-2ETC|http://www.mytoshiba.com.au/products/accessories/dvd-drives/pa3408u-2etc] but this can be used only in connection with notebooks which support this…
    Tecra M10 does not seem to support that…

5. Re: Tecra M10-17U use second HDD in the ODD bay
    Beginner
    Should have a BIOS fix for this, so many laptops that works well and I must have a Toshiba who doesn't, is little things like this I go to remember when purchasing a new system, maybe in the future I go with a OEM bare-bone, they are more open to standards than traditional brands, even traditional brands have BIOS with more options than Toshiba.

Please understand, to me is very disappointing this situation, because it is a little thing that could be easily fixed, but the true is Toshiba doesn´t care of one user complaints.

6. Re: Tecra M10-17U use second HDD in the ODD bay
    Enthusiast
    *@ vbmluis*

I understand you very well that you are disappointed that this an 3rd party device is not supported but here in the forum we can talk about possible solutions and share knowledge as it’s only a user to user community…

But what are the options to get it solved? I think there are no options since this is not supported by this notebook model…

>Please understand, to me is very disappointing this situation, because it is a little thing that could be easily fixed
    really???
    I’m not even sure if its only BIOS update question…maybe the controllers are not compatible too…
    Maybe the hardware is limited???..... I’m not quite sure about that…

> so many laptops that works well and I must have a Toshiba who doesn't,
    …and there are also so many other Toshiba notebooks which supports that… I think before buying an product (no matter what it is: TV, LCD, tablets, smartphones….) it’s should be possible to check what is supported and what is not supported using such device…

7. Re: Tecra M10-17U use second HDD in the ODD bay
    Beginner
    @ Lasko

I really think it is a BIOS issue and can be fixed if Toshiba wants, and I say that since I have a workaround, otherwise I don't put in question.

But regarding you first sentence, is there any other place where I have other options to discuss???

8. Re: Tecra M10-17U use second HDD in the ODD bay
    Enthusiast
    > But regarding you first sentence, is there any other place where I have other options to discuss???
    There is Toshiba US forum on Toshiba US page… if would will get more details, please share this with me…