Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: OpenGL driver for Toshiba Satellite C660-1J2 ?

1. OpenGL driver for Toshiba Satellite C660-1J2 ?
    Beginner
    Adobe After Effects always crash on startup.
    It says it cannot initialize OpenGL and that I should contact the manufacturer of the Graphics adapter.

So I contact Intel because I got a Intel Hd Graphics adapter but they say the driver I already have is custom tuned for Toshiba. So I search on Toshiba but cannot really find any useful link.

Should I install OpenGL manually or can I disable it somehow without starting After Effect?
    How do I installOpenGl manually?

I have downloaded the latest Graphics adapter driver from you but it doesn't help.
    All I want to do is to start a popular Adobe product so I believe many people have this problem.

2. Re: OpenGL driver for Toshiba Satellite C660-1J2 ?
    Master
    Hi

OpenGL is a standard API for writing software for 2D or 3D computer graphics.
    OpenGL is an open source product but DirectX is released by Microsoft and mostly DirectX is part of the graphic card driver and not OpenGL.

However, you cannot “download and install” OpenGL to use it within the graphic card driver… the OpenGL needs to be implemented in the driver…

Mostly it’s done by graphic card manufacture.
    Therefore you will need to check the Intel page to get an driver from Intel which supports OpenGL because the notebook supports the Intel (HM55) HD graphics.

This link detects which driver updates are relevant to your computer and then helps you install them quickly and easily.
    http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect/graphics

3. Re: OpenGL driver for Toshiba Satellite C660-1J2 ?
    Beginner
    Thank you, but it does not work. I would really like to install the latest driver from Intel, but when I go to the url you specified I get the following response:

"Product Detected: Intel HD Graphics
    Current Driver Installed: 8.15.10.2189
    A customized computer manufacturer driver is installed on your computer. The Intel Driver Update Utility is not able to update the driver. Installing a generic Intel driver instead of the customized computer manufacturer driver may cause technical issues. Contact your computer manufacturer for the latest driver for your computer."

I cannot find a way to install the driver, because Intel refuses, for the reason mentioned in the error message. Is there another way to get a new graphics driver?

4. Re: OpenGL driver for Toshiba Satellite C660-1J2 ?
    Master
    You can download the driver directly:
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/

Here search for Mobile Intel HM55 Express Chipset, then the OS and in the last window “select a download type” choose drivers.

Now you should see the “Intel® Chipset Device Software (INF Update Utility)” v 9.3.0.1019
    It’s the latest…

Download this and unzip on the desktop.
    Then go to device manager, choose graphic car and click on update drivers.
    Now you have to use “Advanced installation” procedure. This means that you have to point to the driver folder which you have unzipped on the desktop.
    The Windows OS should pick up the driver files automatically and should update the driver.

5. Re: OpenGL driver for Toshiba Satellite C660-1J2 ?
    Beginner
    Thank you, helpful but still problems. I downloaded "Intel® Chipset Device Software (INF Update Utility)” v 9.3.0.1019" and installed it the way you say, but the computer says I'm already running the latest version of the driver that according to the computer is 8.15.10.2622. I'm running Windows 7 x64 Home Premium. I cannot make it forget the old version and use the new version.

6. Re: OpenGL driver for Toshiba Satellite C660-1J2 ?
    Beginner
    ok i managed to update it with the command
    SETUP -OVERALL

Thank you very much. Now it works perfectly

7. Re: OpenGL driver for Toshiba Satellite C660-1J2 ?
    Master
    Great! Thanks for feedback!