Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite P200D - black screen and unresponsive while still running

1. Satellite P200D - black screen and unresponsive while still running
    Beginner
    Hello everyone,i own a Toshiba Satellite P200D-107 PSPBLE with the fallowing configuration:

Processor: Turion x2 ,TL-52 64 bit 1.6 Ghz
    Display: 17.3 inch
    Graphics: Ati radeon x1200
    Ram: 2x512 mb ram(1 gb total) which i upgraded to 1x2000 mb and 1x512 mb (for a total of 2.5 gb)
    Power: Running on direct power cable without the battery

Although the pc is quite old its basically new it barely has 1 year of normal usage on it.

PROBLEM:

The screen goes black (no flashing cursor) although the screen still has the backlight running,the laptop is still powered but its basicly in a sort of deep hibernation with fan still running.
    The laptop screen will go off 5-10 minutes after windows loads, even if in idle,it also shuts down during os installation.
    I`ve tried letting music run and the music stops when the screen goes black so does all hdd activity which i think indicates that its not related to the video chip.

TRIED SO FAR:

1.Opened up the laptop and cleaned any dust processor,now processor temp is max 50, same for the hdd
    2.Update the bios from the original to 1.70 - didn`t help
    3.Conected external monitor it also shuts down same time as laptop screen indicating its not a screen issue
    4.Reinstalled OS multiple times
    5.Tested the memory with memtest64 - no errors
    6.Tested the hdd with hddregenerator - no errors

What i noticed:

If i leave just one 512 mb ram in the laptop then the laptop will not shut down at all even in windows intensive apps,tried running a game to rule out video card and it works no problem for hours but as soon as i add the 2gb stick or the other origianal 512 stick it will get the black screen withing 5-10 min (or earlier) of entering windows.

It will never shut down in dos mode(like in memtest,hddregen)even with 2.5 gb ram.

After the lcd goes black if i shut it down and then try to power it back up it will not work at all,the screen will stay black with fan running and cd-rom booting,i must absolutely disconect the power cord and re-attach it before it will start up again.

Anyone have any ideas,i`m experienced with pc`s but have never came across something as weird as this,i just can not explain this problem thats came right out of the blue.

2. Re: Satellite P200D - black screen and unresponsive while still running
    Beginner
    Toshiba wake up ,this forum is a total joke, you`d think you`d be able to afford hiring a bunch of technicians to actually help people instead of relying on forum users to do your job for your, no point in having a forum if you don`t have staff to actually help people with their problems.

3. Re: Satellite P200D - black screen and unresponsive while still running
    Enthusiast
    I think your motherboard could be faulty

PS: your last message is totally useless here… its user community...if you want to help others, do that… since others try to help you too.