Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Unknown device under USB on my Satellite L500-1XZ notebook

1. Unknown device under USB on my Satellite L500-1XZ notebook
    Florin
    Hello,

I'm new to this forum but not new to using Toshiba products.
    Anyway, about a couple of weeks ago I started having problems with
    my USB ports in the sense that they all started to die one by one: first
    the upper right, then the lower to be followed shortly by the Sata/USB combo
    port on the left(kept my mouse adapter there).

I have not used anything other than the regular on my USB ports, you know memory
    sticks, external HDD(I used a Toshiba StoreArt 1TB), my mouse and pretty much it.
    Naturally I started looking for a solution to my problem and tried everything, except
    for a BIOS update.

I don't know what else to do, so I hope smbd having dealt with the same problem
    can help me restore my USB ports functionality.

I'll post some screenshots:
    http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g387/florin_77/unknowndevice.jpg
    http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g387/florin_77/properties.jpg
    http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g387/florin_77/sysinfo.jpg

2. Re: Unknown device under USB on my Satellite L500-1XZ notebook
    Master
    Hello and welcome to Toshiba support forum.

On this virtual way it is not easy to say what is wrong there and give you exact diagnostic. In my opinion BIOS update is, at the moment, not necessary.
    I don’t know if you have installed some additions software for usage with some external device but what you can try now is to reinstall chipset driver.

I have checked Toshiba download page and your notebook is supported for Win7 32 and 64bit so you can find it there. I wanted to post link here but I don’t know which version do you use.

Please do it at first and post some feedback.

3. Re: Unknown device under USB on my Satellite L500-1XZ notebook
    Master
    Hi

As I understood your problem, beside the unknown device in device manager, all USB ports don’t work. Right?

Try to delete the USB ports and controllers from device manager list and reboot the notebook. Usually Windows system should search automatically for the deleted devices and should install the necessary drivers.

Just another idea: the internal webcam is connected to the USB controller on the motherboard. I’m not quite sure but the unknown device could be the internal webcam.
    So try to install the webcam software too.

4. Re: Unknown device under USB on my Satellite L500-1XZ notebook
    Florin
    Thank you for your prompt response and advice.
    I have tried everything of the above but none of it worked,
    yet there was smth. that caught my attention: the webcam driver.
    I downloaded and tried to install the latest driver for it but when you
    click it no wizard or progress or anything appears it doesn't really say
    whether it installed or not. So I wanted to make sure and went to device
    manager to look it up under the 'System devices' and nothing such as
    'webcam' is listed there. Also, nothing about webcam utility having installed in the
    Start menu- Toshiba folder.
    I post some more screenshots maybe you can figure out:
    http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g387/florin_77/devicesandprinters.jpg
    http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g387/florin_77/troubleshoot.jpg

5. Re: Unknown device under USB on my Satellite L500-1XZ notebook
    Master
    >... they all started to die one by one: first
    > the upper right, then the lower to be followed shortly by the Sata/USB combo port on the left(kept my mouse adapter there).

You know what, maybe it sounds stupid now but I think you should make most radical step and check what is wrong there: back-up all your important data and install recovery image. Test ports functionality and device manager list with “factory settings” to be sure if the problem is still there or not.

If the same will happen again with fresh preinstalled recovery image you can contact Toshiba service provider immediately.

6. Re: Unknown device under USB on my Satellite L500-1XZ notebook
    Florin
    Hello,

I tried to restore to factory settings but it seems harder than I thought since I don't seem to have
    among the 'System recovery options' (after pressing F8) either 'Toshiba HDD Recovery' or 'TOSHIBA Recovery Wizard' as recovery options.
    I have also tried to install Recovery disk Creator but some .exe file seems to be missing.
    I had also recently installed fresh copy(clean install) of Win7, 32-bit. Could that be a problem?
    How do I restore to factory settings then if this should be the solution to restoring my USB ports functionality?

7. Re: Unknown device under USB on my Satellite L500-1XZ notebook
    >I had also recently installed fresh copy(clean install) of Win7, 32-bit. Could that be a problem?
    I don’t think so. I have installed clean Win7 many times on different notebooks but after chipset driver installation all USB ports have worked properly. No problems at all.
    >How do I restore to factory settings then if this should be the solution to restoring my USB ports functionality?
    It is maybe not the solution but best way to test ports functionality. If this will not fix it than it can be hardware problem.
    How to do this? If you have created recovery disc following Toshiba’s advice use it. If not ... then you have a problem.

8. Re: Unknown device under USB on my Satellite L500-1XZ notebook
    Florin
    I take it that Toshiba people usually store info about factory settings(out of box) on a system reserved partition (e.g:Z) on HDD of laptops which don't come with pre-installed OS and since I have did a clean install and format my fear is that I have accidentally erased that. Could that be why I don't find those recovery utilities after I press F8 key at boot? I don't know.
    If I indeed erased that information what other solution do I have to get it back than to contact Toshiba service to provide me with the disk(disks);hope if it is still available that is.
    In the mean time I have used Windows to make system image&back-up and repair disk that is 3 DVD's in all then used them to restore respectively repair. Well what I got was my system 2hrs before and the same situation.
    If any of you guys know a workaround to this problem, I would much appreciate your help.

9. Re: Unknown device under USB on my Satellite L500-1XZ notebook
    Master
    > I take it that Toshiba people usually store info about factory settings(out of box) on a system reserved partition (e.g:Z) on HDD of laptops which don't come with pre-installed OS
    Toshiba offers notebook with preinstalled OS (installed recovery image) or without it. Your model was delivered without software so there is no recovery image saved on HDD.

You got just hardware so there is no recovery image for your machine and you must use original Microsoft installation disc for OS installation. So forget recovery image and we can stop discussion about “factory settings”.

All you can do now is to make clean Windows installation and install all necessary drivers to test notebook functionality. If the problem persists again I’m afraid it can be hardware related issue so you should contact Toshiba service and ask for help. Is warranty still valid?

10. Re: Unknown device under USB on my Satellite L500-1XZ notebook
    Florin
    As I have said above I've done a fresh install and installed the newest drivers for my notebook and OS;it didn't solve anything.
    Yes, the product's warranty is still valid, so I'll contact service center.

11. Re: Unknown device under USB on my Satellite L500-1XZ notebook
    Master
    > so I'll contact service center.

Keep us up to date…
    Would be interesting to know how this has been solved...