Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Re: Satellite C660-2R3 CPU Throttling to 978 Mhz?

1. Satellite C660-2R3 CPU Throttling to 978 Mhz?
    Beginner
    Hi All,

I bought a Toshiba Satellite C660 2R3 5days ago.

The laptop has core i5 2.4 GHz and 6GB of DDR3 Memory.
    However i am very disappointed with its performance.

I run CPU ID/CPU-Z and it turned out that the laptop is throttling down to 978 MHz Core Speed at 99 MHz Bus Speed.
    I checked the Bios setting with the intention of switching throttling off.
    But was surprised to see there is no such option to do so.
    You only have Constant LOW and Auto something.

WHY TOSHIBA???? WHY??????
    Its like buying a Ferrari but you can only drive it at 50 miles per hour?

Does anyone know of a work around this? I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.

2. Re: Satellite C660-2R3 CPU Throttling to 978 Mhz?
    Master
    Hi

You are right. The notebook seems to support the Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M processor with the Intel Enhanced Speed Step Technology.

Enhanced Intel Speed Step Technology allows the system to dynamically adjust processor voltage and core frequency, which can result in decreased average power consumption and decreased average heat production. This is the reason why the CPU does not run always at highest level but this speed depends on notebook usage and this will be adjusted automatically by the system

3. Re: Satellite C660-2R3 CPU Throttling to 978 Mhz?
    Beginner
    Hi Paolo30,

Thanks for your reply.

I understand your post completely. And fair enough, the system increases its speed the more programs i run. However, I am experiencing lag during the switch overs and this can be annoying at times.

Besides I don't want the system dictating me on how i should run my laptop.

So i am hoping someone from TOSHIBA is reading this post and hopefully they can give their users freedom on how to run their systems.

Please note i don't have any intention on overclocking the Laptop. I only want it to run constantly at its rated speed.

4. Re: Satellite C660-2R3 CPU Throttling to 978 Mhz?
    Master
    Well, from my knowledge sometimes it’s possible to disable the Intel Speed Step Technology in BIOS.
    Not quite sure if your BIOS contains or supports such options so you can check this…
    Furthermore the ToshibaHWSetup utility (should be preinstalled too) contains some BIOS settings too.
    Check if there is an option which can disable Speed Step Technology…

5. Re: Satellite C660-2R3 CPU Throttling to 978 Mhz?
    Beginner
    Unfortunately, there is no option to disable this in the BIOS.

The only option you have there is CONSTANT LOW which is ridiculous (why would you want that?) and.... I cant remember the exact word for the other option as I am not using the Laptop at the moment, but the description is saying the System will Auto adjust the speed basically.

I already checked that utility last night. But has nothing to offer.

I think TOSHIBA needs to release an updated BIOS.

Like what i said, I only want the Laptop to run at its advertised rated speed and I am hoping its not too much to ask.

6. Re: Satellite C660-2R3 CPU Throttling to 978 Mhz?
    Master
    > Like what i said, I only want the Laptop to run at its advertised rated speed and I am hoping its not too much to ask.
    That you good right but this is a user to user community and we can talk about this share knowledge and discuss technology but don’t think that any engineers read this.

> The only option you have there is CONSTANT LOW which is ridiculous (why would you want that?)
    At this time its low because more performance is not required by system and this save the power. The system would increase the CPU performance automatically if more CPU power would be needed by system, tools or applications preinstalled on the notebook. This exactly the way how the Intel Speed Step Technology works

In my opinion it makes no sense to run the CPU always at the highest level and to waist the power and to create more heat dissipation which would increase the temperature and would keep the cooling system running always at highest level.

7. Re: Satellite C660-2R3 CPU Throttling to 978 Mhz?
    Beginner
    > At this time its low because more performance is not required by system and this save the power. The system would increase the CPU performance automatically if more CPU power would be needed by system, tools or applications preinstalled on the notebook. This exactly the way how the Intel Speed Step Technology works
    >

I completely understood how Intel Speedstep Technology works.

The Constant Low i was referring to is an option a user can select in the Bios. As a user why would you want your system to run at constant Low speed? I think this makes no sense at all.

> In my opinion it makes no sense to run the CPU always at the highest level and to waist the power and to create more heat dissipation which would increase the temperature and would keep the cooling system running always at highest level.

I think its just a matter of preference. I like to be in-control of my system and not the other way round.

8. Re: Satellite C660-2R3 CPU Throttling to 978 Mhz?
    Master
    > As a user why would you want your system to run at constant Low speed? I think this makes no sense at all.

In some cases it can be useful if you are using the notebook always with battery power… so in such case you can set the CPU to “always low” in order to save battery power and to increase the working time.
    In such case the temperature would be low and the cooling fans would run much slower and quitter.

Of course the notebook performance would be decreased but if the battery working time and mobility is more important for someone who is always “on the road” and use the notebook in order to check the mails or similar task, then this settings might be very useful.

> I think its just a matter of preference. I like to be in-control of my system and not the other way round.
    I agree but it looks that its not available