Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re: Satellite 5200-501 (old) Cd/Dvd rom does not read CD rom/DVD

1. Satellite 5200-801 (old) Cd/Dvd rom does not read CD rom/DVD
    Beginner
    Hi,

I got an old laptop from my dad (purchased in 2003). I am cleaning the laptop to use it for surfing of the Internet.
    Unfortunately I noticed that the CD DVD rom (with driver signature from Aplix Corpation) doesnot read the Cd or DVd.

2 questions.

1. Can someone help me with trouble shooting?
    -I already checked the device manager and the SCSI DVD Rom SCSI Cd rom device works / is enabled;
    -Tried to opdate the driver (version 5.1.2535.0 of Microsoft) but this is not working;
    -It starts to read a Cd/Dvd (light blinks) but I still cannot see a drive mapping;
    -In computer management the drive (Dvd Cd rom ) doesnot appear;

2. Tried to remove the DVD CD Rom from the laptop but cannot get "the screw" which still holds the DVD CD rom on his place.

Please let me know what I could do.

+Message was edited: notebook model name changed+

2. Re: Satellite 5200-501 (old) Cd/Dvd rom does not read CD rom/DVD
    Hi

I assume you have installed Win XP on this oldi.
    The Win XP and other systems like Win Vista or Win 7 use the Microsoft CD/DVD driver and therefore an special ODD drivers is not necessary.
    The ODD (optical disk drive) should be recognized by Win XP automatically without an installation of any other drivers… so driver update is not necessary.

I recommend deleting the CD/DVD drive from device manager and then to remove the upper and lower filters from the registry.

Here is a useful MS knowledge document.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

3. Re: Satellite 5200-501 (old) Cd/Dvd rom does not read CD rom/DVD
    Beginner
    Hi,

The result of the knowledge link is: (with the use of microsoft Fixit) Cd/DvD device is not detected!

Also not on the device manager list.

I'll purchase a new one.

Can you help me out, how to replace the Cd/Dvd drive on a Toshiba satellite 5200-801 serie?

Thanks!

4. Re: Satellite 5200-501 (old) Cd/Dvd rom does not read CD rom/DVD
    Master
    Hi

You should know what ODDs are compatible. From my knowledge you can use:
    TEAC DV-28E-B DVD-ROM drive, TEAC DW-224E or Matsu****a UJDA740

But as far as I know the ODD is not easy to remove.
    To get access to ODD its needed to remove the Wlan, HDD, Keyboard, and the top cover and display assembly… then you will see the ODD…so it’s really complicated and not sure if you could do that without an maintance manuals.

Unfortunately, such disassemble manuals are not available on Toshiba pages for download… seems there are available only for ASP.

5. Re: Satellite 5200-501 (old) Cd/Dvd rom does not read CD rom/DVD
    Beginner
    Hi,

Could you help me to find the driver? I looked on the internet but cannot decide exactly which website is ok to download it.

Thanks

6. Re: Satellite 5200-501 (old) Cd/Dvd rom does not read CD rom/DVD
    Hi

> Could you help me to find the driver?
    Do you mean driver or drive (CD/DVD drive)?

The drivers can be downloaded from Toshiba European driver page:
    http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/download_drivers_bios.jsp

Here chose: Archive – Satellite – Satellite 52xx
    I found the Satellite 5200-701. The 5200-501 is not listed. I think because of the notebook age… however, the driers for 5200-701 should be also compatible

7. Re: Satellite 5200-801 (old) Cd/Dvd rom does not read CD rom/DVD
    Beginner
    Hi,

sorry for the typo...it is a Toshiba Satellite 5200-801.
    This one is in the download list of Toshiba. But what should i download as the driver type (it this drag and drop or a display driver)????

Thanks!

8. Re: Satellite 5200-801 (old) Cd/Dvd rom does not read CD rom/DVD
    I really don’t know what you mean… what driver do you need? For what device?
    On the Toshiba European driver page you can find all drivers (make a chose as described above)
    Then you will get all drivers for 5200-801
    Then in the right column (More Info) click on the link to get more details about single drivers

9. Re: Satellite 5200-801 (old) Cd/Dvd rom does not read CD rom/DVD
    Beginner
    Ok. My Optical Disk Drive is not working on my Toshiba satellite 5200-801. It's also not showing up in de device manager.
    That's my challenge and therefor I want to install/re-install the ODD driver.

10. Re: Satellite 5200-801 (old) Cd/Dvd rom does not read CD rom/DVD
    > That's my challenge and therefor I want to install/re-install the ODD driver
    If you would look into the post from MisterX you will see that ODD driver is always part of the windows system.
    ODD driver cannot be downloaded because Windows system already contains Microsoft driver…so ODD should be recognized automatically. It seems that your ODD malfunctions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast