Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Can't get Satellite L655D-S5050 to reinstall W7 with Geek Squad Discs

1. Can't get Satellite L655D-S5050 to reinstall W7 with Geek Squad Discs
    Beginner
    Hello,

My nephews Toshiba Satelite L655D with Win7 got so slow, it was also sending out e-mails to his Contacts without him doing it. So I tried to use the Geek Squad 3 DVD's they made for us when we purchased Laptop about year ago & a Windows Recovery Enviroment. DVD to do a re-Install back to brand new shape. I changed the Boot Order from HD 1st to DVD/CD 1st.

Nothing would happen but Laptop would stop running. I think nephew tried to do the Re-Install with Toshiba's wizard. So I can't no matter what get Laptop to re-install OS. Nothing I can do I guess. can I buy Microsoft Win 7 Ultimate DVD & do a clean Install?

Thanks,
    ~Paul

2. Re: Can't get Satellite L655D-S5050 to reinstall W7 with Geek Squad Discs
    Hello Paul

I cannot say what is wrong there but you should be able to install OS using created Toshiba recovery discs. Please try again following these steps:
    Start the notebook and press F12 button several times
    “Boot menu” should be shown on the screen
    Put recovery disc number 1 into optical disc drive
    On the list choose CD/DVD drive using “arrows” buttons and press ENTER

What happen when you try to do this?

3. Re: Can't get Satellite L655D-S5050 to reinstall W7 with Geek Squad Discs
    Beginner
    Hi Dr.Lamp, thank you kindly for getting back to me. I followed your instructions to the letter.
    Okay when I hit Enter with Disc 1 in DVD drive accross bottom of screen it says "loading windows files" I believe. I can hear the Disc #1 turning in its drive. For what seems like a minute or two there is a cursor flashing in top left on black screen. Next it shows W-7 Logo coming together next a window pops up that says ;

<ERROR>
    An error has occured.
    ERROR: F3-F200-0002
    An error has occured
    Please press [OK] to turn off computer.

4. Re: Can't get Satellite L655D-S5050 to reinstall W7 with Geek Squad Discs
    Try this Toshiba recommended procedure [http://www.mytoshiba.com.au/support/items/faq/71]

5. Re: Can't get Satellite L655D-S5050 to reinstall W7 with Geek Squad Discs
    Beginner
    Thanks PeterK_1 I thought I had it. Everything seemed fine by following that link. I put in the Geek Squad Discs called Recovery Discs number 1,2,3, Now Disc #1 took along time then it poped out asking for next Disc then clicking [OK] but disc 2 & 3 were only in for short times, maybe like 3 minutes. While I run the Discs it says copying files. Please wait." Now I only have those 3 Discs & a "Windows Recovery Envirorment" plus a "Applications & Drivers" Disc. After Disc 3 poped out its asking for "next" disc ? If I press OK it says copying files. Please wait. Only other thing on box with OK it cancel. I don't want to click cancel. I'm stuck now ??
    I thought I had it. The Laptop never rebooted during any of those discs running. Any ideas :(
    Thanks,Paul

6. Re: Can't get Satellite L655D-S5050 to reinstall W7 with Geek Squad Discs
    Thinking about your disk names I would think the disk order is:
    1 Windows Recovery Environment (WRE)
    3 Disks 1,2,3
    5 Apps and Drivers

I say this because WRE loads when W7 first installs and enables access to command prompt functions but I've just seen "The Windows Recovery Environment can also be installed to a hard drive partition by OEMs,[3] and customized with additional tools such as a separate system recovery tool for restoring the computer back to its original state" - I hope that's the case for you.

7. Re: Can't get Satellite L655D-S5050 to reinstall W7 with Geek Squad Discs
    Beginner
    Hi Peterk_1 I tried changing the order of the install like you said (WRE) 1st then followed by the 3 Disks the Apps & Drivers but its all the same. All that does is take me quickly to that Error window I put in earlier post.
    With the 3 discs 1,2,3 that seems like it will work but for whatever reason after disc #1 the other 2 are just in for a minye and pops out asking for next. Then nothing but that window asking for next Disk. I tried (MRE) then but I can tell it won't work. I'm going to have to bring it in to BestBuy. Not sure if nephew is under Warranty, doubt it.
    I once before did a re-install of these Discs about 6 months ago after machine had so many virus's it would not do anything, like it was this time. Even if I erased some partitions or he did while messing with laptop before I got it, shouldn't it still go thru re-install back to out of box shape? I used the Toshiba System Recovery link from earlier post

Thanks for help people,

8. Re: Can't get Satellite L655D-S5050 to reinstall W7 with Geek Squad Discs
    Beginner
    After lots of help but no luck with the advice do you think if I purchased a copy of Microsoft Win 7 I could do a clean Install of new OS on the Toshiba L655D-S5050 or will I have same problems with install that I'm having now?

If you read the whole group of questions maybe you could help me in my decision. I know the Geek Squad CD's or DVD's are booting but as u will read i am having troubles with the install. I don't want to spend the $ on new W-7 if its not going to help.

I really think that the partition with the factory instaltion of W-7 was deleted or erased and thats why I'm having troubles? I just don't know???

Thank-U
    Paul

9. Re: Can't get Satellite L655D-S5050 to reinstall W7 with Geek Squad Discs
    > if I purchased a copy of Microsoft Win 7 I could do a clean Install of new OS on the Toshiba L655D-S5050 or will I have same problems with install that I'm having now?

I don’t see any serious reasons, why the clean installation should not work…of course if the HDD is affected and malfunctions, the fresh OS installation might be not possible.

But why you don’t contact the Toshiba ASP (service) in your country and ask for a genuine Toshiba recovery disk for this notebook model? As far as I know the recovery disk is not expensive… here in Europe you can get one for 30€…it definitely cheaper than a MS Windows 7 disk

10. Re: Can't get Satellite L655D-S5050 to reinstall W7 with Geek Squad Discs
    Beginner
    Thank u masterG, I guess I could try that but when we bought that Laptop for nephew Best Buy said no discs came with it so they charged us $$ to make them. I'll contact Toshiba in USA & see how much.
    Thank you again MG

~Paul

11. Re: Can't get Satellite L655D-S5050 to reinstall W7 with Geek Squad Discs
    Master
    > Thank u masterG, I guess I could try that but when we bought that Laptop for nephew Best Buy said no discs came with it so they charged us $$ to make them

Hi cooldep… Toshiba notebooks are not delivered with any disks because you can find an preinstalled software on the notebook called Toshiba Recovery Media Creator. This software allow you to create such disks… I assume the guys from BestBuy used this preinstalled tool to created such disks… FYI -> the info can be found in user manual about this software and recovery disk creation.