Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege R700 - BIOS-Update 2.20-WIN is not working

1. Portege R700 - BIOS-Update 2.20-WIN is not working
    Beginner
    I have a Portégé R700-172 - PT311E-03201KGR
    It's a WIN 7 64-bit Machine.

Current BIOS 1.70
    Current EC-Version: 1.40

For this machine, a BIOS and EC update is out there.
    So I downloaded the "BIOS220_EC160.exe" update and tried to process.

The first message during the update process is: "There is need to update BIOS and EC".
    When I continue with "Execute the update", I receive the error message:
    "Error: Preparing to update was failed
    Given image file is not compatible with this cimputer"

There are no changes in the hardware of the machine. The only problem I see is that we are using McAfee Endpoint Encryption (V6.0.2.6) which might have some influence on updating the BIOS.

But I'm not sure.
    Does anybody have an ides?

2. Re: Portege R700 - BIOS-Update 2.20-WIN is not working
    Master
    Hi

Is BIOS update important for you?
    Do you have problems with notebook?

I’ve got three years old notebook and BIOS has not been updated…

However, as far as I know the VAP (value added package) needs to be up to date to get BIOS updated…. Also the firewalls and other security and antivirus software preinstalled on the system should be disabled before trying to update the BIOS.

3. Re: Portege R700 - BIOS-Update 2.20-WIN is not working
    Beginner
    sorry, but knowing that other peoples opinion is not to update does'nt solve the problem. If we stick to that quality of answers, another one could be "why don't you use a Mac - using EFI?"

Well, according to the release notes it seems to make sense to update.
    Source: http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/downloadDetail.jsp?soid=3302533&pf=true

Change History
    Version 2.20 - 2012-01-23
    Implemented the Intel specification for Intel Chipsets to improve stability. (Note: After updating to BIOS 2.20, downgrading to earlier versions will not be possible.)
    Implemented a fix for an issue where the BIOS password cannot be entered when configured as follows: 1. Wired USB keyboard is connected to the port replicator. 2. Wireless USB mouse is connected to a computer USB port. 3. Computer is docked to the port replicator.
    Improved: Dock power control while powered off to improve stability.
    Improved: Local Boot processing from Linux PXE servers.
    Improved: Event viewer error message when USB memory is inserted in the USB 3.0 port, then undocked in Windows XP.
    Improved: Thermal control.
    Improved: Control of TPM on Intel TXT enabled systems.
    Implemented a fix for an issue where the BIOS password can't be entered with some USB keyboards.
    Fixed: If the computer is undocked from the port replicator while transitioning to a sleep (Sx) state then re-docked, the computer cannot detect the port replicator after it is powered on.

Version 2.10 - 2011-04-01
    Improved the control of the Virtualization Technology function.
    Implemented the updated TPM specification for improved stability.

Version 2.10 - 2011-06-27
    EC-V1.50: Improved: The battery is intermittently not charged while the computer is powered off. This occurs when the "Peak Shift" function is used.

Version 1.90 - 2011-03-01
    Improved the BitLocker function - a BitLocker message was displayed after resuming from Hibernation.
    Improved docker control - display positioning configuration was not retained when docked to a port replicator.

Version 1.80 - 2010-12-14
    Improved DeployCenter 5.5 recovery speed.
    Added support for the McAfee Endpoint Encryption eToken.
    Added support for 2011 non-Windows models.
    Implemented the INTEL specification for the Intel 5 Series Chipset to improve stability.
    Implemented the INTEL specification for the Intel Core i7/i5/i3 Mobile Processor Series to improve stability.
    Improved docker feature behavior - addresses missing undock Start Menu option in Windows 7.
    Added support for the Paragon Backup & Recovery Suite.
    Improved USB device recognition.

4. Re: Portege R700 - BIOS-Update 2.20-WIN is not working
    Beginner
    o.k. - here's the solution:
    The software "Computrace" by Absolute Software Inc. was the problem.
    We have installed this along with McAfee. But it turnded out that Computrace blocked the BIOS.

We had to uninstall Computrace (which btw is a kind of operation) in order to proceed the BIOS update.

5. Re: Portege R700 - BIOS-Update 2.20-WIN is not working
    Master
    Thanks for the feedback and this useful info.