Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite L670 - BIOS update

1. Satellite L670 - BIOS update
    Beginner
    Hi

I own a Toshiba Satellite L670 running on Linux Ubuntu. I want to update my bios from a 1.00 version to the latest 2.30 version.

But the site provides serverals Window's versions and one "Independant OS" version. I downloaded it and the .zip file contain only a .exe file that I cannot use with Linux.

How can I update my bios ? Is there no .bin file ?

Thanks.

2. Re: Satellite L670 - BIOS update
    Master
    This Toshiba notebook model is not supported for Linux and all offered stuff on download page are designed for Windows OS only so you cannot update BIOS if you use non-supported operating system.

Anyway, if there is no problem with your notebook BIOS update is not necessary.

3. Re: Satellite L670 - BIOS update
    Beginner
    Thank's for your answer.
    My computer works perfecly on Linux, and i'm quite happy with it. I sill want to update my bios.

I've extracted the .exe file and i found the bios.ROM file. I'm going to install it with FreeDOS. What is the DOS flash utility recommend by Toshiba for that, please ?

4. Re: Satellite L670 - BIOS update
    Master
    I believe you when you say you are happy with Linux. It is OK. You can do with your notebook whatever you want and nobody force you to use Windows but, as I wrote before, Linux is not supported by Toshiba.

> What is the DOS flash utility recommend by Toshiba for that, please ?
    DOS flash utility recommended by Toshiba? Where you found info that Toshiba recommends DOS flash utility? Fact is that Toshiba doesn’t offer DOS BIOS update since, I believe, 6 or 7 years anymore.

What you can do now is to obtain second HDD. Exchange HDDs, install recovery image, update BIOS and later put back old HDD with Linux.

5. Re: Satellite L670 - BIOS update
    Beginner
    I dont get it.. why is Toshiba rely on windows to do an update? why isn't there an ISO to burn on a cd that you boot from and do the update? every other manufacturer do this!

I use linux in all my pc's and I dont want to do a 3-4 hours install of windows to do a 5min bios update!!
    this is crazy.

6. Re: Satellite L670 - BIOS update
    Master
    >I dont want to do a 3-4 hours install of windows to do a 5min bios update!!
    Obtain second HDD, put in your notebook, install recovery image using recovery DVD and update BIOS. After BIOS update put old HDD inside and problem is solved.