Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite A200-28P Battery/Charger problem

1. Satellite A200-28P Battery/Charger problem
    Beginner
    Hi,

I've had an on/off issue with my battery/charger for a while in that sometimes it would charge while plugged in and others it wouldn't, so if I removed the charger to move the laptop it was a 50-50 gamble as to whether it would instantly turn off or not.

This hasn't been too much of a problem as the laptop isn't moved too often, but I recently returned home to find my charger was no longer working at all and the laptop was off.

I've managed to get hold of a replacement charger just to test it out and I've found that when plugged in, the blue light that is usually solid that shows the charger is plugged in is blinking, and the times it has stayed solid and allowed me to boot up the laptop has lasted around a minute at best before shutting off completely, not even allowing me enough time to transfer important documents I have on there.

Is buying a new battery going to solve this problem, or is the issue more likely to be something inside the laptop that needs replacing?

2. Re: Satellite A200-28P Battery/Charger problem
    Master
    Hi

I doubt that buying a new battery would solve your problem.
    Why?
    Because the notebook should also work properly using only the AC adaptor.
    So even if the battery would be faulty or dead, it should be possible to use the notebook connected to mains.

The notebook has a number of other power resources including an intelligent power supply and real time clock battery and these resources are interrelated and any one could affect apparent power problems.

If the DC IN is blue, then this means that AC adaptor is connected properly and the power is being supplied correctly. If this is not the case, the AC adaptor might be faulty or there is a big problem with the power supply electronic on the motherboard.

So in such case the AC adaptor should be tested… if you are 100% sure that AC adaptor is working properly, then there must be a problem with motherboard.

3. Re: Satellite A200-28P Battery/Charger problem
    Beginner
    I've just tried it with only the AC adaptor and the DC IN is blue, but flashing, rather than solid as it usually was prior to this problem. The adaptor itself has been (and still does) working fine with a different laptop of the same model, I've just borrowed it from a friend to test it out today and it works fine with their A200, as well as with an older notebook I'm currently using.

I did have a problem back in 2009 with this particular notebook while it was still under warranty, which was fixed when Toshiba collected it and brought it back about a week later, but for the life of me I can't remember exactly what the problem was.

4. Re: Satellite A200-28P Battery/Charger problem
    Master
    > he adaptor itself has been (and still does) working fine with a different laptop of the same model, I've just borrowed it from a friend to test it out today and it works fine with their A200, as well as with an older notebook I'm currently using.

So it looks like an serious issue with an motherboard part :(

5. Re: Satellite A200-28P Battery/Charger problem
    Beginner
    There may be another possible explanation, thought I'm not sure if it could be relevant. I've just had a quick word with my friend as I looked at the charger and it turns out this particular adaptor is not the official one. Looking at the label it's listed as follows...

"INPUT 100-240v~2.4A
    50/60Hz

OUTPUT 19V(symbol I can't find)3.42A"

When I was looking around for a replacement charger earlier, I noticed that a lot of them have 6.32A instead of 3.42A.

Could this be a potential factor in the problem, or am I just hoping I don't have to fork out a lot of cash for a fix?

As a side note, seeing as I have a fairly capable laptop here as a replacement, how much trouble would it be for me to somehow transfer the stuff I want from the A200 hard drives to somewhere else, to save me losing important data if the fix is too expensive to be worthwhile?

6. Re: Satellite A200-28P Battery/Charger problem
    Master
    Hi

You should always use an compatible AC adaptor recommended by Toshiba because wrong AC adaptor can damage the notebook!
    As far as I know the A200 series supports an 19V 3.95A AC adaptor.

The Volt value is very important and it should be 19V. The Ampere value can differ a little bit from 3.95A but the difference should not be too big.
    So I would recommend using AC adaptor which has been made for A200 series.
    Such adaptor can be ordered from Toshiba ASP in your country.

> As a side note, seeing as I have a fairly capable laptop here as a replacement, how much trouble would it be for me to somehow transfer the stuff I want from the A200 hard drives to somewhere else, to save me losing important data if the fix is too expensive to be worthwhile?

Well, you can save the files to other computer. You can remove the internal SATA HDD and can use an USB-SATA controller in order to connect the HDD to computer USB port. In such case you should get access to the content on the HDD and could move the important date to another HDD.

7. Re: Satellite A200-28P Battery/Charger problem
    Beginner
    I think I'll just transfer the important stuff over and call it quits then.

Would something as simple as this do the job, or am I missing something obvious?
    +2.5" SATA to USB HARD DRIVE CADDY HDD CASE ENCLOSURE+
    [http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130629097442?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1423.l2649|http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130629097442?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1423.l2649]

8. Re: Satellite A200-28P Battery/Charger problem
    Yes, this looks good.