Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: How fast is SATA controller in Portege R830?

1. How fast is SATA controller in Portege R830?
    Beginner
    Hi,

I recently started to look for a SSD drive to improve my laptop's performance.
    How fast is SATA controller in R830 - 3 or 6Gbps?
    Is there any list of compatible devices?

Thanks!

R.

2. Re: How fast is SATA controller in Portege R830?
    Master
    Hi

As far as I know the notebook supports the Serial ATA Rev. 2.6 interface.
    According to the Wikipedia info the SATA revision 2.x supports 3 Gbit/s
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA

Greetings

3. Re: How fast is SATA controller in Portege R830?
    Beginner
    I was hoping that it supports SATA3 as the chipset theoretically supports 6Gbps.
    What about drives - will 6Gbps work correctly with my notebook?

4. Re: How fast is SATA controller in Portege R830?
    Master
    Drives? The interface seems to support 3Gbps so don’t think that you can get 6Gbps… but surely you should try this out…feedback would be very appreciated…

5. Re: How fast is SATA controller in Portege R830?
    Beginner
    By writing drive I thought about SSD.
    Most of currently available units are SATA3 and it would be great to unleash their full potential.
    In this case how big speedup and power efficiency will I gain?

6. Re: How fast is SATA controller in Portege R830?
    Master
    The theoretical burst throughput of SATA 2 (3.0 Gbit/s) is double that of SATA 1.0.
    So in my personal opinion you should get ~285/275 MB/s max read/write speed

But it would be really interesting to know what values you can get in the practice...

7. Re: How fast is SATA controller in Portege R830?
    Beginner
    I just finally found some extra money I purchased OCZ Agility 3 240GB SSD.
    And frankly speaking I'm a little disappointed.

Althoguh it's nice to boot up in 10-12s, I hardly see improvements in speed and access time.
    I did all the tricks to improve SSD performance (installed latest Intel Rapid Storage drivers, disabled windows search, prefetch and defrag) and so far I see just a small differences in startup of Outlook and Live Mail programs. IE and other Office apps start almost in the same time - even Skype seems to be same responsive as with HDD.

My final thoughts are:
    1. Toshiba *did really bad thing* not utilizing SATA III ports in Intel's controller (QM67 offers by default 3 and 6Gbps interfaces). I wouldn't be surprised with such thing in cheap Satellite models ... but hey guys - it's Portege! It should be no-compromise business laptop! Why performance of my SSD has to be limited to its 50-60%?!
    2. Default Hitachi 500Gig HDD is not that bad - I would even it's not much worse than SSD (really!)
    3. I'm happy that I didn't bought top-end model from Intel/Samsung/Crucial - I'd be even more disappointed.

For benchark fans (R/W speeds from AS-SSD):
    Seq: ~210/~220-230MB/s
    4k: 15-18/50MB/s
    4k-64Thrd: 130-150/200-220MB/s
    Acc.time: 0,14/0,33ms
    Score: 165/282

If you have any ideas how to get more power out of it, it'd be very grateful.

8. Re: How fast is SATA controller in Portege R830?
    Beginner
    I just finally found some extra money I purchased OCZ Agility 3 240GB SSD.
    And frankly speaking I'm a little disappointed.

Althoguh it's nice to boot up in 10-12s, I hardly see improvements in speed and access time.
    I did all the tricks to improve SSD performance (installed latest Intel Rapid Storage drivers, disabled windows search, prefetch and defrag) and so far I see just a small differences in startup of Outlook and Live Mail programs. IE and other Office apps start almost in the same time - even Skype seems to be same responsive as with HDD.

My final thoughts are:
    1. Toshiba *did really bad thing* not utilizing SATA III ports in Intel's controller (QM67 offers by default 3 and 6Gbps interfaces). I wouldn't be surprised with such thing in cheap Satellite models ... but hey guys - it's Portege! It should be no-compromise business laptop! Why performance of my SSD has to be limited to its 50-60%?!
    2. Default Hitachi 500Gig HDD is not that bad - I would even it's not much worse than SSD (really!)
    3. I'm happy that I didn't bought top-end model from Intel/Samsung/Crucial - I'd be even more disappointed.

For benchark fans (R/W speeds from AS-SSD):
    Seq: ~210/~220-230MB/s
    4k: 15-18/50MB/s
    4k-64Thrd: 130-150/200-220MB/s
    Acc.time: 0,14/0,33ms
    Score: 165/282
    Windows 7 SP1 64-bit - clean install

If you have any ideas how to get more power out of it, it'd be very grateful.