Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Equium L40 start problem

1. Equium L40 start problem
    Beginner
    Hi

I have to use F1 to start my Equium L40 every time i tun it on. It will then boot up ok but it has forgoten the time and date, once i update the time/date, the computer works perfectly i can access all my email accounts etc without having to re set anything.

The problem started after replacing the battery due to the old one being almost completely dead. I've noticed that the computer will not run on AC alone without the battey fitted but is still charging the battery ok. (so the adapter is ok)

I like the computer and don't really want to buy a new one but it's very frustrating and time consuming when i turn it on.

Maybe there is a back up battery i can change to repair the fault?

Any help would be appreciated?

2. Re: Equium L40 start problem
    Master
    Hi

Notebook should also run without battery but connected to the AC adaptor…
    Therefore I would assume that your motherboard is affected in some way….

If the RTC battery (bios battery) is empty the time and date in BIOS menu would be reset to the default. But in my opinion this should not be a problem to use the notebook only with AC adaptor.

However, the RTC battery can be charged… to do that you have to connect the main battery and AC adaptor and the notebook has to be ON for a longer period of time (18-20 Hours).

Check it out!

3. Re: Equium L40 start problem
    Beginner
    Thanks for the advice i must admit i havn't had the unit on charge for more than about 4 hours so i'll give it a try.

My suspicion is that a circuit has overheated and failed because it's been overloaded trying to charge a worn out battery and is causing the issue of not working on the ac adapter alone.

It's not too much of a stretch of imagination to think that the failed circuit also charges the Bios battery so it may be just flat not faulty! (in which case a long charge may have no effect)

If the long charge fails i may need advice on stripping the computer, recognising the Bios battery so that i can test it.

Has anybody got a repair manual or know where to get one?

I'll let you know what i find

Thanks

4. Re: Equium L40 start problem
    Master
    Hi

As far as I know maintenance manuals are not available for download since such stuff is released for notebook technicians only…
    But you can find a lot tips and instructions in the net like www.irisvista.com page or youtube…