Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OS doesn't start on Equium L350-10L

1. OS doesn't start on Equium L350-10L
    Beginner
    Hi all.
    My laptop has suddenly stopped working. When i turn it on i have a screen that says "Startup Repair" and underneath "Windows can not repair this computer automatically"

I have tried to put it through a scan but to no avail.

I am completely lost as to what it may be. Im not sure if it was dropped or anything!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Re: OS doesn't start on Equium L350-10L
    In your posting there is no explanation what was your last activity before you have noticed this problem.

Fact is that something is screwed up. The question is: have you some important data saved on HDD?
    Best and easiest solution is OS installation (recovery image).

Can you start OS in safe mode?

3. Re: OS doesn't start on Equium L350-10L
    Beginner
    Many thanks for your response.

I really dont know what happened to it. There is a possibility it was dropped but really not sure.
    I know that it didnt get wet.

I had dropped it a year ago and had to get a new hard drive. This is different to what it was saying before as it wasnt registering any operating system.

I have loads of photos on there that i would be gutted if i couldnt retrieve them but seems like they will be lost.

Unfortunately i cant give any more info on it that might help other than its running on Vista.

4. Re: OS doesn't start on Equium L350-10L
    Beginner
    The first thing on the screen on startup is "windows is loading files"

Then the next screen which is grey says "Windows cannot repair this computer automatically" and under that "If you have recently attached a device to this computer, such as a camera or portable music player, remove it and restart yout computer. If you continue to see this message, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance" then under that "Click finish to exit and shut down your computer"

I havnt been able to find anything that does a "safe mode".
    Apollogies for sounding thick but im not the best on computers.

5. Re: OS doesn't start on Equium L350-10L
    Beginner
    Right, i think i have something!
    When i do a startup repair it comes up with a list of all the checks its done.
    It says Root Cause found: Unknown Bugcheck: Bugcheck 9F. Parameters = 0x3, 0x84dc36b0, 0x86682968, 0xad91fe28.

under that.... Repair action: System Restore
    Result: Failed. Error code = 0x1
    Time taken = 10749ms

Repair action: System files integrity check and repair
    Result: Failed. Error code = 0x2
    Time taken = 62806ms.

Further down it says Test Performed:
    Name: Target OS test
    Result: Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0
    So im making the assumption that the OS is fine then?

6. Re: OS doesn't start on Equium L350-10L
    You know what; if you don’t have some important files on your HDD install OS again using recovery discs. After doing this you will have clean preinstalled OS and everything will works again.

If you have most of photos and other important stuff saved on HDD you can remove HDD and connect it to other PC as external one. So you should have access to all your data and you can make a copy. After doing this put HDD back into your notebook and install OS again.

7. Re: OS doesn't start on Equium L350-10L
    Beginner
    Thanks for the info Dr Lamp.
    I have tried using the OS disc (cheap one from ebay) and to no avail.
    I was thinking it was likely that the HDD was knackered thus the lack of activity it was showing.?! If the laptop has a virus would it not mean the HDD was knackered anyway?!
    As i said im really quite useless at this stuff....

8. Re: OS doesn't start on Equium L350-10L
    Hi

If you want to check the HDD then I would recommend doing this using the tool like Drive Fitness Test. Its freeware and can be downloaded from different pages.
    This would create an bootable disk which would check the HDD.

If the HDD is ok, I recommend booting from Linux live CD like knoppix
    This will allow you to get access to the files like photos and to backup the data

9. Re: OS doesn't start on Equium L350-10L
    Beginner
    Progress..
    Ive managed to get into Bios and found an OS disc which isnt an original.
    The type and graphics come up (even though really hazy.....its not an original copy)It gave me some prompts but as its not original i thought it might do more harm than good. I stopped at that point for fear that carrying on with that disc would knacker the comp. But that obviously means the HDD is working fine and dont need to get another HDD.

Could anyone suggest how to get Vista back on it as im guessing its been wiped?!

10. Re: OS doesn't start on Equium L350-10L
    Master
    > Could anyone suggest how to get Vista back on it as im guessing its been wiped?!

That’s simple: either you will use the Microsoft Vista installation disk or Toshiba recovery disk.
    The Toshiba recovery disk can be ordered here for 30€:
    http://backupmedia.toshiba.eu/landing.aspx

11. Re: OS doesn't start on Equium L350-10L
    Beginner
    Thanks for the advice.
    If by doing this will i keep everything that was on the comp or will it all get wiped installing the OS?

12. Re: OS doesn't start on Equium L350-10L
    Master
    The whole HDD would be formatted using the Recover disk. You will get the same state like at the first day of notebook purchase…

13. Re: OS doesn't start on Equium L350-10L
    Beginner
    Right, so i would have to take the HDD out and put it in an enclosure and usb it to another comp to get the info off it first then?!

14. Re: OS doesn't start on Equium L350-10L
    Master
    ….or you would boot the notebook using an Linux live CD like Knoppix. This does not require any installation on the HDD and in such case you could get access to the HDD and to the files and could move it to an external USB HDD or USB flash stick

15. Re: OS doesn't start on Equium L350-10L
    Beginner
    Wow you know your stuff.!!
    Unfortunately that sounds like rocket science to me.

So you are saying download Knoppix on another comp, burn it onto a disc and put it into the notebook.

Then the notebook would read the Knoppix disc and you plug in an external HDD and put all your info on there?!

Sorry to be thick!!

16. Re: OS doesn't start on Equium L350-10L
    Master
    Exactly ;)

17. Re: OS doesn't start on Equium L350-10L
    Beginner
    Yeeeeehaaaaaaa!!!!!!!
    Will give it a try.

Much appreciated.

18. Re: OS doesn't start on Equium L350-10L
    Beginner
    I didnt have any joy with the Knoppix thing.
    Burned it onto a disc and tried it. Went through the boot (F12) and onto CD/disc and it did nothing.

Does that mean the only option i have is to take the HDD out and make it external?

19. Re: OS doesn't start on Equium L350-10L
    Wondering why you are not able to boot from Knoppix…usually this should be possible…anyway you can also try bootable Windows PE or Windows BartPE
    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

This is bootbale Windows environment which should help you to access the HDD.
    But in worst case use an external USB SATA HDD enclosure to connect the HDD to another computer.

20. Re: OS doesn't start on Equium L350-10L
    Beginner
    I had no joy recovering info off my HDD with a linux disc so tried turning the HDD into an external to use on another pc.

I bought the enclosure and lead and put the HDD in it. When plugging it in to the pc it was turning and making an odd noise then a box came up saying....

"You need to format the disc in drive F: before you can use it".....then.... "do you want to format it:: format disc/cancel"

Click on format disc and it says.....

"Check to see that the disc and drive are connected properly, make sure that the disc is not read only, then try again. For more information, search help for read-only files and how to change them"

Should this be so difficult or am i trying the impossible and the HDD is knackered?!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast