Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: How to install Windows XP Professional on Toshiba notebook?

1. How to install Windows XP Professional on Toshiba notebook?
    Beginner
    Hello All,

I am asking on behalf of a friend who is a computer phobic and owns the same make and model Toshiba laptop as me. He would like to go back to Windows XP Professional instead of Windows Vista business.

His hard drive is Western Digital WD 1200BEVS Hard drive. He told me that when he went to install Windows XP it came with no HDD. I am not sure if I can mention the chipset here but here it is anyway. The chipset is a Intel (r) ICH8M ultra ata storage controllers-2850. Any advice in a simple format would be gratefull. He has downloaded the bios upate and nlite at work on a computer with some help with from a I.T technician on to a thumb (flash) drive)

I am thanking anyone who can help on behalf of my friend who is a computer phobic and does not have a interweb connection.

2. Re: How to install Windows XP Professional on Toshiba notebook?
    Usually if you write about such issues you should also inform us which notebook model do you have or which model hast your friend.

Please don’t understand me wrong but on this forum you can find hundreds of threads with the same theme and very good answers and solutions. Have you maybe searched this forum if you can find some similar thread?
    Problem is missing SATA driver and this driver must be loaded before WXP installation starts.

But before we start discussion is friend’s notebook supported for WXP?
    Have you checked Toshiba download page if WXP drivers are available?

Out of curiosity: has your friend created recovery disc?

3. Re: How to install Windows XP Professional on Toshiba notebook?
    Beginner
    The make and model of my friends laptop is toshiba tecra m9 pmt90e and he has the vista business recovery dvd. The laptop can run windows xp professional. My friend came down a couple of weeks ago for the weekend and we were able to find the windows xp drivers for his laptop.

Message was edited by: windows7fan

4. Re: How to install Windows XP Professional on Toshiba notebook?
    Master
    If this Tecra is supported for WXP, than there should not be problem to install WXP.
    Download “Intel Storage manager” and open Intel storage manager > F6flpy and choose right folder for SATA driver. I think your notebook must have Crestline-GM + ICH8M chipset driver.
    Send me whole part number and I can say you for sure which one you must use.

SATA driver can be loaded before WXP installation starts using, I think F6 button. SATA driver can be loaded from floppy disc drive or you can integrate it using nLite software.

If you have more questions let us know.

5. Re: How to install Windows XP Professional on Toshiba notebook?
    Beginner
    The whole part number I think is either Toshiba Tecra pmt90e-01JJ00LEN.

6. Re: How to install Windows XP Professional on Toshiba notebook?
    Master
    Ok part number is not so important now. Have you understood the principle?

7. Re: How to install Windows XP Professional on Toshiba notebook?
    Beginner
    Yes I under the principle but I need all the help to put it all on cd (combining the drivers and windows xp professionalon to one cd or dvd.). I have created the windows xp professional iso and downloaded the Intel storage manager. Please could you put the information in a simple formate as I get a bit lost. I will do a trial disc first before installing on to my friends toshiba laptop

8. Re: How to install Windows XP Professional on Toshiba notebook?
    Master
    Hi

Model number is pmt90e…. well according to Google its Tecra M9

The Tecra M9 is Win XP supported.
    On Toshiba European driver page you can find all drivers:
    http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com -> Support & Downloads -> download drivers

Here choose: Archive – Tecra – Tecra M series - Tecra M9 – PMT90E – Win XP

So now you can see all drivers.

The Intel Storage Manager can be found there… this is needed in order to get the HDD recognized by Win XP.

You can use nLite in order to create an iso and to add the Intel Storage Manager to iso image.

9. Re: How to install Windows XP Professional on Toshiba notebook?
    Hi

Just for your info - http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSB85017Z0000R01.htm
    Maybe it can be interesting for you.

10. Re: How to install Windows XP Professional on Toshiba notebook?
    Beginner
    if you use sata HDD verify whether its in compatible mode or in AHCI mode