Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite L505: would recovery erase all my partitions?

1. Satellite L505: would recovery erase all my partitions?
    Beginner
    Hello,

I have a Toshiba Satellite L505, using Windows 7 Home Premium. I have created a "Recovery Disk" using Toshiba Recovery Media Creator, saved into a USB pendrive.

My hard drive is split into 2 partitions (using Disk Management, in Computer Management), the main one, C: contains the OS and all my installed software, and the secondary, D:, all my data.

I would like to reinstall Windows 7 using the recovery pendrive, but my question is: will that erase the main partition, C: only, or it will delete everything in D: as well?

Thank you very much!

2. Re: Satellite L505: would recovery erase all my partitions?
    Master
    > will that erase the main partition, C: only, or it will delete everything in D: as well?

The Toshiba Recovery Disk would format the whole HDD and would also erase all the partitions which are created on the HDD…
    Therefore you should backup the data on an external medium (USB HDD, disk, USB flash memory, etc…) before running the recovery procedure…

3. Re: Satellite L505: would recovery erase all my partitions?
    Yes it will delete everything so before you start recovery installation back-up all your important data.
    As far as I know before recovery installation starts whole HDD will be deleted, new partition created, recovery image copied onto HDD and as last step is recovery image installation.

4. Re: Satellite L505: would recovery erase all my partitions?
    Beginner
    Wow, I'm so glad I decided to ask. Then making partitions is completely useless, good to know for the next time.

5. Re: Satellite L505: would recovery erase all my partitions?
    Master
    Thanks for the feedback and points...