Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite L650D-11R. Need some Help regarding warranty

1. Satellite L650D-11R. Need some Help regarding warranty
    Beginner
    Hello all,

I purchsed in March 2011 a Toshiba L650D-11R from Amazon.co.uk which I have used for the odd bit of gaming/internet browsing.

In January 2012 however my Windows operating system failed during usage & fails to reload. I have no recovery disk & fail to reach the HDD recovery mode on the system itself as the screen stays black & will not go any further.

After reading the Toshiba warranty it quotes +"Toshiba supplies no warranty, either expressed or implied, for any preinstalled software, its quality, performance, merchantability, or fitness for a particular purpose. Nor does Toshiba warrant that the functions contained in the software will meet your requirements or that the operation of the software will be uninterrupted or error-free."+

I would like to know whether or not this covers Windows 7 as I am not sure whether this counts as software or is included within the whole warranty itself.

Any response would be more than appriciated.

Regards,

2. Re: Help regarding warranty
    Master
    Hello

Sorry to hear that you have problems with your notebook. Anyway for each situation there is solution, isn’t it?

Generally speaking Toshiba, and almost all notebook manufacturers, offer notebooks with preinstalled operating system and recovery image saved on HDD. In the past they have offered notebooks with recovery disc in the package. It is not the case anymore.

This backup recovery disc must be created by notebook owner and this disc can be used for OS installation if something goes wrong with HDD or there is some problem with access to recovery image saved on HDD. In user’s manuals it is described how to create this HDD. Toshiba has also preinstalled small reminder that informs notebook user about recovery disc creation.

Have you ever seen it?

Anyway, as far as I know warranty will not cover this and if you want to use original recovery disc to have “factory settings again you must order it from Toshiba.

You can order it on https://backupmedia.toshiba.eu/landing.aspx

If you have more questions you are welcome.

3. Re: Satellite L650D-11R. Need some Help regarding warranty
    Hi

The warranty covers the hardware problems and not software issues.
    As mentioned by user above: the recover disk should be created after the notebook has been configured in the first time.
    I don’t think that this issues would be covered by warranty so in such case you will need to order the recovery disk from the page recommended by Macius

4. Re: Satellite L650D-11R. Need some Help regarding warranty
    Beginner
    Thanks.

I followed the link you gave me & entered all my details on the website however I can't help but notice how slow this website is.
    I ordered & have had the money debited from my bank account however it didn't go to the confirmation screen nor have I received any form of e-mail regarding me purchasing this, any ideas?

I was under the impression you burnt it onto a disc from that website, do they send you something in the mail instead? If that's the case I will await something in the post.

5. Re: Satellite L650D-11R. Need some Help regarding warranty
    Master
    >I was under the impression you burnt it onto a disc from that website, do they send you something in the mail instead?
    As far as I know Toshiba sent you original recovery disc. All you get in the mail is purchase confirmation.

6. Re: Satellite L650D-11R. Need some Help regarding warranty
    Beginner
    Hi folks,

I have received the discs (2 of them) at long last however after trying to run startup from the drive it seems my laptop won't read them?

Would this be a problem regarding the drive or the discs themselves, I have had my laptop read other discs since the original problem arose so it leads me to believe the discs are of bad quality but seeing as they're from Toshiba themselves I can't see that being true. What's happening is after running from startup DVD/CD it gets no further than getting information & a black screen with a mouse cursor on.

Thanks for your help.

7. Re: Satellite L650D-11R. Need some Help regarding warranty
    > it gets no further than getting information
    Which information? What is written on the screen?

8. Re: Satellite L650D-11R. Need some Help regarding warranty
    Hi

Try to clean the drive’s laser lens using an cotton wool tip and alcohol and try to boot from the recovery disk once again.
    But it could be also possible that the recovery disks are faulty… that happens sometimes. In such case you should get in contact with the Arvato and send these disk back.

Here you can find the details:
    http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSB0202TA0000R01.htm

Q:+My ordered Windows can not be installed. (An error occures during the installation)+
    A: +Make sure that your optical disc drive works correct and try it again.+
    +If the error occurs again, you can send the DVD back to Arvato and you will get a new disc free of charge.+

9. Re: Satellite L650D-11R. Need some Help regarding warranty
    Beginner
    Hi,

I've tried cleaning it but no luck, thanks for the link but I can't seem to find Arvato from there, do you have a link to them?

Thank you.

10. Re: Satellite L650D-11R. Need some Help regarding warranty
    Master
    Link is https://backupmedia.toshiba.eu/landing.aspx