Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Need original BIOS for Satellite A210-1AO PSAELE

1. Need original BIOS for Satellite A210-1AO PSAELE
    Beginner
    Hello everyone!

long time unsuccessfully looking for original BIOS for my Sattelite A210-1AO PSAELE-03Q00FRU (Vista32bit preinstalled).

Unfortunately i updated it and laptop lost possibility to disable.
    VERY noisy DWD-ROM (TS-L632H) via BIOS (but it definitely worked with original BIOS)
    It is also impossible to switch it off via device manager (tried several times).

I have looked for BIOS everywhere i could (yes, i tried Toshiba Support & Download for Europe, USA, Canada, China, Russia - NO Sattelite A210 PSAELE BIOS in the lists, the same for A200 PSAELE).

Wrote to Toshiba Russia support - no result. the point is i do not know original bios version for my model, so i have tried BIOS versions 1.1, 1.4, 1.5, 1.8, 1.9, 2.0, 2.3 - no result.
    The last idea is to remove DVD-ROM physically but it is rough solution.

So where can i find that BIOS? or can you recoomend a really customer friendly toshiba support office?
    thanks in advance!

2. Re: Need original BIOS for Satellite A210-1AO PSAELE
    Hi

The Toshiba US driver page provides all BIOS versions for Satellite A210/A215 (PSAEGU/PSAELU)

Toshiba US Satellite A210/A210 PSAELU is the same series like Toshiba European Satellite A210 PSAELE series

[BIOS versions for Satellite A210/A215 (PSAEGU/PSAELU) |http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=DL&os=&category=&moid=1757694& rpn=PSAEGU&modelFilter=A215-S4697&selCategory=2756709&selFamily=1073768663]

Greets

3. Re: Need original BIOS for Satellite A210-1AO PSAELE
    Beginner
    Hi, MisterX
    Thank you for the advice and link! already installed, but nothing has changed (except of logo and bios version). still DWD-ROM is not disabled neither via bios nor via device manager... all the rest is ok.
    my best regards

4. Re: Need original BIOS for Satellite A210-1AO PSAELE
    I thought as much… The BIOS update could not affect the CD/DVD drive…
    Noisy CD/DVD drive might malfunction and this has nothing to do with BIOS.

I found some firmware update (version TO03 for TS-L632H drive) on the Toshiba European driver page.
    The Satellite A210 drives can be found in Archive (in product type choose Archive instead Notebook). So maybe a firmware update could help you.

Otherwise I think you should try to reinstall the OS using Recover disk since the CD/DVD drive is controlled by system driver which is part of the Windows OS.

5. Re: Need original BIOS for Satellite A210-1AO PSAELE
    Beginner
    thank you for attention and time you spent on my question, MisterX!
    i have installed and reinstalled TO2 and TO3 and reinstalled OS several times but it didnt help. optical drive was noizy since the very beginning but still works good. when i press the power button the 1st action laptop does is referring to CD/DVD drive (inspite of CD/DVD drive is disabled in BIOS) and only then boot logo appears. at this step OS is not loaded yet so it seems that issue is connected to the BIOS. the same situation when laptop wakes up after sleep mode. I remember well that it was not so with the initial BIOS.

6. Re: Need original BIOS for Satellite A210-1AO PSAELE
    >when i press the power button the 1st action laptop does is referring to CD/DVD drive (in spite of CD/DVD drive is disabled in BIOS) and only then boot logo appears

Did I understood this correctly? The CD/DVD drive is not recognized (disabled) in BIOS?
    ODD cannot be disabled in BIOS. If the BIOS does not recognize the CD/DVD drive then this means that there is a problem with optical disk drive.

7. Re: Need original BIOS for Satellite A210-1AO PSAELE
    Beginner
    The CD/DVD drive is listed in the BIOS BOOT menu and can be (visually) disabled via SHIFT+1 combination (exclamation mark appears) but inspite of that the laptop reffers to the CD/DVD drive every start or after sleep mode (noizy checking if there is a disk inside) that means for me that ODD is not really disabled. With the initial BIOS ODD could be deadly disabled - even eject button didnt work.

Message was edited by: zapatsky

8. Re: Need original BIOS for Satellite A210-1AO PSAELE
    Master
    > The CD/DVD drive is listed in the BIOS BOOT menu
    The CD/DVD drive will always appear in BIOS boot menu even if its not recognized by BIOS:
    Please provide info if the CD/DVD drive is listed on the first BIOS page.
    There should be CD/DVD drive name and HDD details listed.

Is the ODD listed on the first page?

9. Re: Need original BIOS for Satellite A210-1AO PSAELE
    Beginner
    Hello, Paolo,
    No, ODD is not listed in the BIOS MAIN page, only HDD ( see http://goo.gl/BD73E ). In the BIOS BOOT page ODD is listed with details ( see http://goo.gl/j92lw ). Does that mean my ODD is not properly recognised by BIOS? And how can it be fixed, please?

10. Re: Need original BIOS for Satellite A210-1AO PSAELE
    Master
    Well, I’ve got a U400 and the Optical Disk Drive is mentioned on the first BIOS page.
    I don’t have a A210 so I cannot say for sure if the ODD should be listed here…

Anyway, I read this whole thread several times and I’m a little bit confused… not sure what problem you’ve got exactly… it looks like the OS could recognize the CD/DVD properly but I don’t understand why you want to disable the ODD… only because it’s noisy?

11. Re: Need original BIOS for Satellite A210-1AO PSAELE
    Beginner
    yes, only because it is too noizy. i dont use it at all but it scratchs loudly and irritating... OS regognizes ODD, you are right.
    I have realised that in BIOS HDD is set as a slave and ODD as a master. Is it correct?

12. Re: Need original BIOS for Satellite A210-1AO PSAELE
    Master
    > I have realised that in BIOS HDD is set as a slave and ODD as a master. Is it correct?
    This should be ok.

But the CD/DVD should not be active if the disk is not inserted and from my experience this has also nothing to do with the BIOS. Therefore I think it’s an ODD malfunction…

13. Re: Need original BIOS for Satellite A210-1AO PSAELE
    Beginner
    > {quote:title=Paolo30 wrote:}{quote}
    > Well, I’ve got a U400 and the Optical Disk Drive is mentioned on the first BIOS page.
    > I don’t have a A210 so I cannot say for sure if the ODD should be listed here…

I have recalled that with the initial BIOS the ODD was listed on the 1st BIOS page and disappeared after BIOS update...