Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite X200-20S won't boot - no display, no beeps!

1. Satellite X200-20S won't boot - no display, no beeps!
    Beginner
    One of the forum members seem to have this same problem a year ago so using the same title, he used before.

My Toshiba X200-20S is not booting up. When I switch on the laptop, power LED comes on and HDD LED Blinks for few secs. DVD Drive spins briefly and DVD LED also blinks. I can hear fans running. The power LED stays on but nothing else happens. No POST Error Beeps or messages on the screen. The satellite logo in the front does not light up.

Took it to PC World for repairs but the laptop is coming back as their repair centre said they do not support this model.

Have already tried all the basics like removing power card, battery and pressing the power button for 30 Sec and re-powering the laptop. Opened up memory and HDD panels but did not see anything out of place.

Suspect something might be wrong with the mother board or BIOS chip. Don't want to spent a fortune changing the motherboard any suggestions welcome.

Many thanks for your help.

2. Re: Satellite X200-20S won't boot - no display, no beeps!
    Indeed, it looks like an serious hardware issue.
    Did you try to connect an external monitor in order to check if its display problem?

In most cases if nothing would be visible on 2nd external display, then motherboard is affected.
    Possibly the graphic card chip started to malfunction. Well, the fix would be expensive since new motherboard must be replaced.

3. Re: Satellite X200-20S won't boot - no display, no beeps!
    Beginner
    Thanks MisterX,

I tried connecting my TV through HDMI, no pictures. Will try connecting a monitor using the DSUB connecter when I get it back.

Do you know whether the graphics chip (8700GT) is soldered on to the mother board in this laptop?

Kumar

4. Re: Satellite X200-20S won't boot - no display, no beeps!
    As far as I know the graphic board (part number K000052130 ) can be removed from motherboard but not quite sure if only the GPU board is affected and additionally it seems that an VGA board is quite expensive part (around 450€)

5. Re: Satellite X200-20S won't boot - no display, no beeps!
    Beginner
    Thanks again MisterX. It looks like I have to look at new laptops. Pity I liked the X200-20S a lot.,no problems till now and a good configuration and screen.

6. Re: Satellite X200-20S won't boot - no display, no beeps!
    Yes, it seems that it not worth to fix the GPU.
    You can sell this unit on ebay as an faulty device… maybe you will get some €uros

7. Re: Satellite X200-20S won't boot - no display, no beeps!
    Beginner
    Thanks MisterX

http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=57505

Based on this thread it looks like a GPU issue.

8. Re: Satellite X200-20S won't boot - no display, no beeps!
    Beginner
    And this thread means, there might be some hope will try it out when I have time

http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=51756

9. Re: Satellite X200-20S won't boot - no display, no beeps!
    Beginner
    Well I was able to examine the graphics card, could not find any jumpers, not even on the Mother board to short. Put everything back together and the laptop remains the same.

Also found thick layers of dust between CPU and GPU fans and their heatsinks, covering all the channels on the inside.I am not sure it is good design and not surprised that something has failed.