Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Does the Intel 82579LM NIC on the Portege R830 support Promiscuous mode?

1. Does the Intel 82579LM NIC on the Portege R830 support Promiscuous mode?
    Beginner
    Hi,

I've got a work laptop (Portege R830), which doesn't want to sniff packets. I've got it connected to a Netgear Hub (DS104), along with an older notebook, and then uplink to ADSL.

Running a continuous ping to the default gateway and Wireshark on both devices and the other computer can see the pings from the Toshiba, but not vice-versa.

The Toshiba is running as an Administrator account, has the Windows Firewall disabled, and my Symantec End Point Encryption disabled. I don't have any other AV to my knowledge.

Does anyone have any ideas of services I should disable/enable, or knowledge of the features of this NIC?

According to the Intel site "Yes, all currently marketed Intel® PRO/100, Intel® PRO/1000, Intel® Gigabit, Intel® PRO/10 Gigabit, and Intel® 10 Gigabit adapters support Promiscuous mode. " But the Intel® 82579 Gigabit Ethernet Controller is not in the list that follows on; http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/CS-004185.htm?wapkw=%28promiscuous%29

Thanks for your time.

2. Re: Does the Intel 82579LM NIC on the Portege R830 support Promiscuous mode?
    Akuma
    Usually the firewall or Internet Security software blocks pings so perhaps try uninstalling Symantec completely. Just disabling it may not disable everything.

Another thing to try is use a Static IP Address instead of DHCP. Disabling IPv6 or installing a newer LAN driver from the Intel website may also help.

3. Re: Does the Intel 82579LM NIC on the Portege R830 support Promiscuous mode?
    Beginner
    Thanks Akuma, I'll give that a go and come back.

4. Re: Does the Intel 82579LM NIC on the Portege R830 support Promiscuous mode?
    Beginner
    Spot on Akuma,

Thank you. It was the End Point Security, which even though disabled, still blocked promiscuous traffic. Un-instaling it, resolved the issue.

Now all I've got to do is get symantec to accept it.....

Cheers.

Rich.