Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Re: Unable to use the recovery partition on Satellite L505D

1. Unable to use the recovery partition on Satellite L505D
    Beginner
    Hello.

I am trying to help a friend with their Satellite L505D that had a serious virus issue(s). I was not able to run/install any programs with the virus on it. I used a Microsoft tool to remove the rootkit trojan, but I still had virus issues. I also lost most of the programs on the machine. All the folders were empty (except for some games), so I could not access any tools that way. I could not get the machine to load any Toshiba restore utility by pressing Zero while powering on. I accessed some recovery options using F8 during bootup, and had a link to restore to Toshiba's original setting, but clicking that choice did nothing other than pause for a few seconds. I waited several minutes, clicked it again, rebooted and tried again. Nothing. As a side note, once during all this, the restore partition was visible from explorer.exe. Not before, or since.

So I then Reformated the computer with a Win7 Home Premium 64bit upgrade disk (leaving the restore partition intact), and entered the key for the system. Supprise supprise, it is asking me to activate within 3 days.

My basic question is, can I access that recovery partition in a different manner to attempt to use it? IE copy it's contents, or boot to some comand prompt to log to e:?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

2. Re: Unable to use the recovery partition on Satellite L505D
    Master
    Hello

To be clear: there is only one way to use recovery image saved on HDD and install it.
    Exact step-by-step description how to do it you can read on http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/HTD1303440001R01.htm

If this will not work, only way to do it anyway is to use recovery DVD. Question is: has your friend created these discs?

3. Re: Unable to use the recovery partition on Satellite L505D
    Beginner
    They did not create the recovery disk. Is a recovery disk from another computer using Win7 Home Premium 64-bit usable? Or if not, am I left with either ordering recovery media from Toshiba, or wiping the entire HDD and installing another licensed version of Win7?

4. Re: Unable to use the recovery partition on Satellite L505D
    Master
    > Is a recovery disk from another computer using Win7 Home Premium 64-bit usable?
    Generally speaking yes BUT this second notebook must be 100% identical with same model number (PAxxxx).
    > Or if not, am I left with either ordering recovery media from Toshiba, or wiping the entire HDD and installing another licensed version of Win7?
    Exactly. To be honest better option is to order original Toshiba recovery disc.

You can order it under https://backupmedia.toshiba.eu/landing.aspx
    For 30 euro you will have original disc that you can use anytime you want. This disc has OS with valid licence, all necessary drivers.
    It is also simplest way to have all properly installed. With 5 mouse clicks and after 2 hours only notebook will have “factory settings” again.

5. Re: Unable to use the recovery partition on Satellite L505D
    Beginner
    Thank you both for the information. Considering the time spent, $30.00 isn't bad at all.