Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: How to turn off auto adjustment brightness on Portege R830?

1. How to turn off auto adjustment brightness on Portege R830?
    Beginner
    hello

i have R830-13D, windows 7 x64 utlimate.
    the "problem" is auto change lcd backlight depends of content of screen

for example - when i set brightness level to 2 and read some newsites (white background, black text) - it's ok for me. then, i open another website with black background and yellow text - lcd backlight changing down so i have to manually change it up by Fn+F7 to level 3.
    and so on - when i change tab in browser to "normal" website - white background/black text - backlight automatically going up (looks like sequentially growing up by 3-4 little steps) and i have to decrease it back to level 2.

i can see this "issue" both for toshiba display driver (download on support page) and for intel display driver.

how can i disable this feature? any idea?

2. Re: How to turn off auto ajustment brightness on Portege R830?
    Beginner
    p.s. auto ajustment happens only on battery, but i can't locate any settings about it (in windows power options / bios)

3. Re: How to turn off auto ajustment brightness on Portege R830?
    I donít have this notebook model and Iím not sure if I found the right way how to do this but check please page 64 in userís manuals.
    Maybe is there described how to do this.

Please send some feedback.

4. Re: How to turn off auto ajustment brightness on Portege R830?
    Beginner
    sorry, i'm too much lazy to download manual :D

but i solve the problem
    *at intel display panel - power tab - power source/battery - power conservation feature - display power saving technology - uncheck*

and now all is ok, predictable and wonderful :D

p.s. i've spent so much time to discover it because by default "power source" selected for "plugged in" and there are no additional settings - the settings appears only for "battery" option.

hope this topic canhelp someone else :)

5. Re: How to turn off auto ajustment brightness on Portege R830?
    Beginner
    For Linux ubuntu / kubuntu (tried on 16.04):

Go to System Settings > Energy Saving > Energy Saving (= the top) button

Three tabs appear (On AC Power: On Battery : On Low Battery).

On each of these you can check / uncheck boxes to chose between automatic and manual control, and use the slider to set the screen brightness you want.

HTH