Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite C660-28D - first impressions

1. Satellite C660-28D - first impressions
    Beginner
    I'm happy to say i've just purchased a toshi C660 28D.
    This one has the Intel i3 core running at 2.4Ghz. Front side bus 1066MHz.
    I chose this model because it would display youtube 1080p video without glitching. Now that I have VLC, OpenOffice, Firefox, Gimp, DosBox, Process Explorer and a few other goodies installed I am one happy camper. I even like win7 now that I have found out how to create system restore point.

First impessions are very good except for three issues.
    1/ The touch pad with all its multi touch and scrolling ability was so bad I gave up and pulled an old usb mouse out of the attic. The thing kept on "sulking" all the time and would take up to 5 seconds to move.

2/ Diabolically slow USB drive speeds . 1MB/s when connecting thru a 4 port USB 2 hub. An acceptable 20MB/s when connected solo. But here's the kicker, according to the supplied self starting diagnostic routine there are two internal USB port on this system, but only one is connected to the outside world. This connection is made via an internal 8 port hub. This has only two usable ports. I think this means that there is 40MB/s of port bandwidth going to waste here. If anyone comes with a soldering hack to bypass the 8 port hub I'll be sorely tempted to have a go.

3/ This wireless n seems to be a bit of a lame duck. When I first connected we were talking at 45Mbps. Tonight we managed to connect at 58Mbps. My wireless g box alway connected at 56Mbps like it said on the tin. This is all 2.4Ghz activity. Maybe I should try the 5Gig option on my Netgear DGND3700.

2. Re: Satellite C660-28D - first impressions
    Master
    > 1/ The touch pad with all its multi touch and scrolling ability was so bad I gave up and pulled an old usb mouse out of the attic. The thing kept on "sulking" all the time and would take up to 5 seconds to move.

Well, the additional touchpad options and features need getting used to.
    But this can be controlled and you can check the available touchpad options in control panel -> mouse -> advanced tab -> advanced settings

> 2/ Diabolically slow USB drive speeds . 1MB/s when connecting thru a 4 port USB 2 hub. An acceptable 20MB/s when connected solo. But here's the kicker, according to the supplied self starting diagnostic routine there are two internal USB port on this system, but only one is connected to the outside world. This connection is made via an internal 8 port hub. This has only two usable ports. I think this means that there is 40MB/s of port bandwidth going to waste here. If anyone comes with a soldering hack to bypass the 8 port hub I'll be sorely tempted to have a go.

Soldering hack??? I think such procedure would damage the mobo…

> 3/ This wireless n seems to be a bit of a lame duck. When I first connected we were talking at 45Mbps. Tonight we managed to connect at 58Mbps. My wireless g box alway connected at 56Mbps like it said on the tin. This is all 2.4Ghz activity. Maybe I should try the 5Gig option on my Netgear DGND3700.

802.11 N works only at 2.4Ghz if the 802.11 A standard is not supported by Wlan card.
    Check this:
    +Not able to use the 5GHz band on the WLAN card in the "n" WiFi standard+
    http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSB0502VM0000R01.htm

Hope I could help you a little bit and wish you fun with your new toy ;)