Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Loud Fan noise on Satellite Z830-10J

1. Loud Fan noise on Satellite Z830-10J
    Beginner
    Hello,

I just purchased the Toshiba Satellite Z830 - 10J and am very surprised by the loud fan noise!

I read on other forums that the noise might be louder depending on the device or that a BIOS update might help slowing down the fan activity when the laptop is running idle. Does someone know if there is a remedy to the fan noise?

For me it is really impossible to work with such an ongoing noise!!!

Thank you for your help.

2. Re: Loud Fan noise on Satellite Z830-10J
    Master
    At the moment don’t think about BIOS update.
    What you should try at first is to change “Cooling method settings”.

Open power profile that you use (probably Balanced) > Advanced power options > Toshiba Power Saver Settings > Cooling Method and change both options to “Battery Optimized”.

It should reduce cooling fan activity.

3. Re: Loud Fan noise on Satellite Z830-10J
    Beginner
    Hi,

I have tried this method and unfortunately only the pitch of the noise is lowered, the amplitude remains the same and the fan remains constantly on.

Can you think of anything else to try?

Thanks.

4. Re: Loud Fan noise on Satellite Z830-10J
    Master
    Try to disable all useless programmes (running applications) in task manager ust to see if less CPU usage will reduce cooling fan activity.

5. Re: Loud Fan noise on Satellite Z830-10J
    Beginner
    Have tried to no success I'm afraid. The noise still continues, even during idle.

There has to be a way around this, the fan simply does not need to be active all the time, especially in a seemingly wholly solid state laptop with passive cooling systems.

If there was a way to control when the fan engaged, such as a certain temperature or cpu load, that would be helpful.

Thanks.

6. Re: Loud Fan noise on Satellite Z830-10J
    Beginner
    Hi!

Any news on this issue? I have the exact same issue. The fan is running constantly and has done som from day one. It's a very annoying sound. Appart from that the Z830 seems great!

Best Regards
    // Tobias

7. Re: Loud Fan noise on Satellite Z830-10J
    Master
    Please check this regarding the recommended Power Plane settings:

*1st Proposal:*
    Cooling Method: Maxim Performance
    Intel Turbo boost Technology: Enable
    CPU Frequency mode: Always low

*2nd Proposal:*
    Cooling Method: Battery Optimized
    Intel Turbo boost Technology: Disable
    CPU Frequency mode: Always high

Here you can find the single options:

<Setting Method>
    Changes in Operating System:
    Control Panel --> Power Options --> Change plan settings --> Change advanced power settings --> TOSHIBA Power Saver Settings --> Cooling Method

Changes in Bios (Power Management):
    Intel Turbo boost Technology

Changes in Operating System:
    TOSHIBA HW Setup --> CPU Frequency mode

8. Re: Loud Fan noise on Satellite Z830-10J
    Beginner
    Hi!

I've tried your two proposals now and can't hear any difference at all between the two.

The fan starts running at a constant pace as soon as the computer is powered on and then remains at the same level even at total inactivity (0-1 % CPU usage).

When the CPU load increases then the fan noise increases too. The fan noise will eventually drop to "normal" (to loud) when the processor load is decreased again.

BR
    // Tobias

9. Re: Loud Fan noise on Satellite Z830-10J
    Beginner
    Thanks for your input PauPau, but like TobiasG_1, the changes you suggested did little to affect the noise of the fan.

I have updated the BIOS to 1.4, but that did not help, nor did it provide any additional settings that may have affected the fan. SpeedFan looked promising, but because the laptop is new, it did not support the z830 motherboard.
    I have heard of a few people 'solving' the issue by physically disconnecting the fan, apparently with little heat issues, but I would rather not have to resort to this.

I am still trying to think of a solution to this, but I'm afraid my resolve is weakening!

Thanks.

10. Re: Loud Fan noise on Satellite Z830-10J
    >The fan noise will eventually drop to "normal" (to loud) when the processor load is decreased again
    Well, in such case you should determine what process stresses the CPU.
    Check this process and if possible disable this .

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast