Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite Z830 - SDHC card 32Gb not recognised

1. Satellite Z830 - SDHC card 32Gb not recognised
    Beginner
    I have a Z830 Satellite with the SD card reader.

The spec sheets says it reads SDHC cards, so I purchased a Transcend 32Gb SDHC card for putting all my music on. When I plug it into the SD card reader of the laptop it doesn't do anything - nothing shows in Windows Explorer or in Disk Management. It's like the reader doesn't even know there is a card inserted.

However, if I put the card into a USB SD card reader and plug it into the USB port, the machine sees the card just fine. I can copy files to/from it. Is this a driver issue, or is this hardware related?

2. Re: Z830 sdhc card 32Gb not recognised
    Akuma
    Hi, do you have the factory Windows installation installed? Or did you install XP/Vista?

Do you have the latest BIOS installed?

Do other SD cards work ok in the Z830?

3. Re: Z830 sdhc card 32Gb not recognised
    Beginner
    Thanks for your quick reply!

I have the factory Windows 7 Home Premium installed. I did upgrade the BIOS to the latest version (1.4) and tried again but with no joy. I have a Sandisk 8Gb SDHC card which works just fine in the built in reader. The Sandisk 8Gb (which works) however, is a class 2. The Transcend 32 Gb card (which does not work) is a class 6. I don't know if that makes a difference; but as I mentioned previously I know the 32Gb card works because I can plug it into the universal USB card reader I have and plug it into a USB port on the same machine and it works just fine.

4. Re: Satellite Z830 - SDHC card 32Gb not recognised
    Akuma
    Can you test the SD card on another PC?

The notebook is definitely capable of SDHC so it may be a problem with the SD card.

Perhaps try formatting the SD card as exFAT rather than NTFS.

5. Re: Satellite Z830 - SDHC card 32Gb not recognised
    Hi

According to the user manual, the internal card reader supports the SD card (8MB-2GB), SDHC (4GB-32GB) and SDXC (64GB).
    So you should be able to use the 32GB Card without any big issues.

If the SDHC card works in other notebooks then I would say it’s a compatibility issue… this is one and only plausible explanation for me… maybe you should test other 32GB SDHC card from other manufacturer in connection with Z830.

6. Re: Satellite Z830 - SDHC card 32Gb not recognised
    Beginner
    Hi

I have exactly the same problem. Z830-10u, with a 32gb class 10 sdhc card not registering in any way. I updated to 1.6 bios and it made no difference. Any ideas to fix it would be welcome, as the 128 SSD isn't big enough for my requirements.

Thanks.

7. Re: Satellite Z830 - SDHC card 32Gb not recognised
    Master
    According notebook user’s manuals document max supported SDHC card capacity is 32GB so it should work properly.

Do you use original OS that you got with your notebook?
    Open please device manager and check “Storage controllers”. is there everything OK?

8. Re: Satellite Z830 - SDHC card 32Gb not recognised
    Master
    *@ drugaware*
    The 32bit SDHC cards are supported definitely but it could be possible that some kind of SDHC cards are not compatible…so I would recommend checking different SDHC cards…

9. Re: Satellite Z830 - SDHC card 32Gb not recognised
    Beginner
    Hi - Yes it is the original OS. I looked in device manager and could not find "storage controllers". I expanded every single item, and could find nothing relating to the SDHC card or card reader. Could it be that this has not been installed somehow?

10. Re: Satellite Z830 - SDHC card 32Gb not recognised
    Beginner
    I have a Quosmio. It will read a card sometimes for a while then stops. The diagnostic tests dont help. I hope Toshiba read this and come up with an answer.

11. Re: Satellite Z830 - SDHC card 32Gb not recognised
    Beginner
    I have a brand new Z830 and I can't get it to read a SONY Pro Duo 1GB card. This card works in my desktop machine. Anybody else had similar problem?

12. Re: Satellite Z830 - SDHC card 32Gb not recognised
    Akuma
    Did you purchase the SD card from a trusted retail shop or from an online website such as eBay?

There are many fake SD cards and USB Flash Drive on the internet that are physically 1GB or 2GB cards that are formatted as 32GB. Writing data past 1GB or 2GB will loop around and corrupt the data.

13. Re: Satellite Z830 - SDHC card 32Gb not recognised
    Beginner
    I have the same problems on the same system. I tried a lot of cards, nothing helps.Is there any solution? Thanks
    Dellmann

14. Re: Satellite Z830 - SDHC card 32Gb not recognised
    Formatting the SDHC as recommended above did not help?

15. Re: Satellite Z830 - SDHC card 32Gb not recognised
    Beginner
    no. And I need 64 GB!

16. Re: Satellite Z830 - SDHC card 32Gb not recognised
    Master
    > no. And I need 64 GB!

User manual provides the info that *SDHC* are supported up to _32GB_
    The _64GB_ are supported _ONLY_ *SDXC* cards