Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Tecra HDD crash - how to retrieve some important data?

1. Tecra HDD crash - how to retrieve some important data?
    Beginner
    This is a follow up question from my last successfully answered question.
    My Tecra 60GB HDD has stopped working and I would like to retrieve a few days of emails etc if possible.
    The Tecra defaults to the Safe Mode options when started and returns via a BSOD no matter which safe mode option is taken.

I have:
    checked in BIOS - it is seen as there.
    ran SEATOOLs for Dos and it says there is a fault on the short and long tests
    connected the HDD via an enclosure and USB to my other PC and eventually it say that there is an In/OUT error.
    Ran CHKDSK via my XP CD and after 26% it says there are one or more unrecoverable errors.

Also I have tried an old HDD which works normally in the Tecra.

Any help would be appreciated

Regards

Wagga

2. Re: Tecra HDD crash - how to retrieve some important data?
    >connected the HDD via an enclosure and USB to my other PC and eventually it say that there is an In/OUT error.

Does this mean that you are not able to get access to the HDD even using an external USB case?
    It looks like the HDD is corrupt and in most cases the data could not be recovered on usual way.
    Of course there are different Data recovery services but they charge between €500 and €1000 to attempt to salvage data from either logical or mechanical disasters.

There are also different tools which could be helpful like RecoverMyFiles from GetData, Ontrack EasyRecovery DataRecovery or Prosoft's Data Rescue II but you have to pay for all these professional applications…

Here is also a nice youtube video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vki3_zJZ8gY

Maybe it will work for you!

3. Re: Tecra HDD crash - how to retrieve some important data?
    Beginner
    Hi Mister X,

Thanks for your answer.

The HDD can not be accessed via the external USB case or enclosure as I think it is called in other forums. When connected the HDD is seen but eventally the message given is ""there is an IN\Out error"" .

I have checked the Youtube video and others, refered to but can not see it helping me with this problem.

As mentioned in the earlier post, luckily the data is nearly all backed up so I won't be spending much time or money to retieve the data, but I was just checking in case there was an obvious answer that I did not know of without paying too much.

Thanks anyway

Regards

Wagga

4. Re: Tecra HDD crash - how to retrieve some important data?
    So it seems that you need to replace the HDD in order to solve this…

5. Re: Tecra HDD crash - how to retrieve some important data?
    Beginner
    Hi Mister X,

Thanks for your answer.

Yes it seems that the HDD is to be replaced, I was just looking for support to do it, you have done that.

It would have been a shame if there was another alternative that I could easily have done but didn't know about.

Regards

Wagga