Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camileo S30 Will Not Power Up Issue ?

1. Camileo S30 Will Not Power Up Issue ?
    Beginner
    I Hope Someone on the forum can offer a solution regarding a Problem i am having with my Camileo S30,Occasionaly it will not start or power up Unless i remove and replace the battery,I Have tried the factory
    default setting but to no avail,and a new battery,It appears that this fault applies to many s30 camcorders.
    Could it be that it is a Bug in the Firmware?and are any updates available,Any help would be appreciated
    thanks
    Jon

2. Re: Camileo S30 Will Not Power Up Issue ?
    Beginner
    Hi ,

I am having the same problem, S30 worked well for a week and now refuses to turn on. Very frustration as this is my 12 year old daughters camera.

This is obviously a general problem from searching the web but nobody seems to get given a solution....

3. Re: Camileo S30 Will Not Power Up Issue ?
    Beginner
    Hi
    Yes it is a problem affecting many s30 camcorders,Toshiba must be Aware of it and must surely take
    action to rectify the fault (possibly a Firmware upgrade) The camera is not fit for purpose and as "much
    use as a chocolate fireguard" I Will not be not be purchasing anything from Toshiba again.................

4. Re: Camileo S30 Will Not Power Up Issue ?
    Beginner
    I have the same problem .... this is my second Camileo S30, as I thought the first one was faulty and had my money refunded.

Now I cannot believe that the replacement has the same problem.

Taking the battery out and in is no solution to the problem ...

*TOSHIBA*, please supply a firmware update, this is doing your name no good at all !

5. Re: Camileo S30 Will Not Power Up Issue ?
    Beginner
    I am also having this problem.
    Does anyone have a solution yet other than throwing it in the trash? Removing the battery doesn't help and charging it has no effect on it.

Since there are others with the same complaint, I don't think I will waste money on a new battery. Maybe this is just a $90 lesson learned to avoid Toshiba altogether.

Get your act together Toshiba. Bad news travels fast!

6. Re: Camileo S30 Will Not Power Up Issue ?
    Beginner
    Hey! I was bought the Camileo S30 as a gift for Fathers Day and almost immediately had the same issues with powering up as the rest of you.
    I too returned my camera to Currys and got an exchange for a second S30. Again I am having the same problems with turning on the camera. I hope the problems do not continue for tomorrow (Xmas day!) as it is my daughters first xmas! If I do have the same issues again then I am going to return it and replace it with a different (non-Toshiba) camera! Get a firmware upgrade NOW Toshiba!

7. Re: Camileo S30 Will Not Power Up Issue ?
    Beginner
    Contated Toshiba and got this response
    .................................................. .................................................. ......

Thank you for your recent enquiry. We are sorry for the difficulties your camcorder has caused you.

We advise you to power cycle the device by following instructions below:

- Remove the plug from the wall socket & battery.
    - Leave the camcorder for a few minutes.
    - Insert plug into wall socket and battery into the unit.
    - Test the camcorder.
    .................................................. .................................................. .........

It does NOT Adequately Address the Basic Fault !!!

8. Re: Camileo S30 Will Not Power Up Issue ?
    Beginner
    I was hoping that Toshiba might put a reply on this forum when I joined up, however it appears to be more of a self help commmunity like AA but without the support. Toshiba does not suffer from alchoholism by it is a carrier!!

9. Re: Camileo S30 Will Not Power Up Issue ?
    Beginner
    Following on from my last post .... I decided to call Toshiba support, which was interesting but of no use !

They claimed that there had been no other instances of this problem, and when I referred them to this Forum to show them other people had the same problem, the reponse was "well that's as maybe, we do not follow the Forum and they may be faulty devices" .... *Exactly ... Was'nt that the reason I was telephoning them !!!*

So, after a no solution telephone call I obtained a refund from Curry's and purchased a Panasonic equivilent, which incidently, produces better quality pictures than the Toshiba ...... Sorry Toshiba, but you really need to *LISTEN to your customers ....*

10. Re: Camileo S30 Will Not Power Up Issue ?
    Beginner
    Hi
    Here Is The Link For Online Toshiba Warranty Claims :-)

https://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/jsp/optionClaim.do?service=UK

At The very least a Warranty Claim Or Two Should Finally Get This Issue Acknowleged By Toshiba...

11. Re: Camileo S30 Will Not Power Up Issue ?
    Beginner
    hey,
    i have the same problem with *3!!* S30 cameras! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i keep raplacing the cameras from the store since it's brand new ! i bought it in December 2012
    and after 2 or 3 videos, the same problem and nothing happens whatever of the solutions i tried from the forum.
    I changed the 16GB HCSD with a smaller of 1GB nothing!
    i took the battery out and back again nothing!
    i plaged it in power and it turned on and then guess what... nothing!!
    i am going to the store to get my fourth camera
    allthought when i called at the service they told me that nothing has changed in the software of all Camileo S30!!!!. and i should change it again!! with the same camera...... with the same problem!!!!!!

Great service support!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    and it's not a Greek problem...it's worldwide.......

12. Re: Camileo S30 Will Not Power Up Issue ?
    Beginner
    Hi
    I Used The Link i Posted Above and Got a Rma On The Camera,Toshiba Replaced It So Am Keeping My Fingers Crossed,Like you say its a worldwide problem with this camera

13. Re: Camileo S30 Will Not Power Up Issue ?
    Beginner
    The Camileo S-30 is a great little camcorder - when it works! I own two and today neither one was working. Unit #1 the screen is out, nothing shows up. The Toshiba logo did appear for a second then it just went blank. I can get the photo or movie light or even the white led to go on, and it will record or take photo's and they store on the SD card. But what good is it when you can't see or access the touchscreen functions? It must be a firmware bug or two or more! Since the logo will sometimes appear, I guess its not a case of the flexi-cable wiggling out of its socket.

Still, while I can't get anything to appear on the touchscreen of unit #1, if attempt to make a movie or photo's, and then I take out its SD card and put that SD card into the "other" Camileo S-30 I can view the photo's and/or movies. Now that "other" Camileo S-30, it sometimes suffers from the "Plays Dead" will not power up syndrome that a dozen people have complained about on this forum.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason when unit #2 will work or not work. If I plug in the charger in and then remove the battery and put the battery back in, then press the power button, sometimes it will start up. Today is Sunday and unit #2 seems to be working well. Friday I charged it up for a long time, basically overnight. The photo and movie lights were flashing for quite a few hours. Then they became constantly lit, which I gather means a fully charged battery. However, the battery indicator shows four sub-sections, the top four are green and the bottom four are yellow. Does this mean - the battery is losing its charge capability? Should it register all greens for a new battery? This battery has always been showing green and yellows like that. At the present time, I've only got one battery between the two S-30 sets, I guess I should start saving up to buy a few more batteries.

-Steven

Message was edited by: slbender

14. Re: Camileo S30 Will Not Power Up Issue ?
    Beginner
    Same issue here. I believe the problem could be related to overcharging the battery. When fully charged my battery reads 4.2V and the camera will not work. Discharging the battery down to 3.7 volts, which the battery is rated to, the camera will now turn on. What ever the real issue is, it needs to be resolved. Toshiba are still selling these devices. They should take a look at How Apple recently handled a safety issue with the original iPod nano's regardless of age, they replaced them with new. :- Brilliant service from Apple. 0/10 from Toshibia.

15. Re: Camileo S30 Will Not Power Up Issue ?
    Beginner
    Hi NickC_1,

Say you might be on to something with the battery voltage there ... Hmmm.

I just ordered three new Camileo S-30 batteries from China, and when they get here, in about two weeks, I'm gonna get out my Fluke meters and spend a few hours doing some experiments, at which point I'll have four batteries and more than four Camileo S-30's to play with.

-Steven

16. Re: Camileo S30 Will Not Power Up Issue ?
    Beginner
    Hi
    It is definately a manufacturing/Firmware issue,Toshiba replaced mine under warranty/rma, Still dont trust it though,I Have previously posted the warrant claim link on this thread

17. Re: Camileo S30 Will Not Power Up Issue ?
    Beginner
    hi, does anyone know if toshiba will honour the warranty if it doesnt have the genuine battery in it? my s30 does exactly the same, sometimes powers up and others it wont!!

18. Re: Camileo S30 Will Not Power Up Issue ?
    Beginner
    Come on Toshiba! Surely this is an obvious problem that needs to be addresssed?

This is really poor form from a big company that created this forum to ensure continuous impovement.

Its obvious it has someting to do with the three terminals that touch the battery. They must operate like switches internally. I gave mine a careful push down so they connect a little better and away it went.

This is only a short term fix to get the camera going. It needs to be repaired so it doesnt keep happening happen.

I also have a file that didnt finalise and is unusable. Just happens to be a 20min video of my dads 90th birthday. Precious memories entrusted to a new camera. This is also a common fault that Toshiba have not addressed or supplied an answer for.

If a Toshiba representative reads this note I suggest you pass it on to someone who can take action and supply some positive answers for the people of this forum. You have my email address. Please let me know where to take my camera in Adelaide to have it repaired or replaced.

Surely a tech savvy company such as Toshiba will be able to help me finalise that 20minute file so I can get back my precious video.

PLEASE HELP rather than ignore these problems!!!

Regards Brian

19. Re: Camileo S30 Will Not Power Up Issue ?
    Beginner
    Please try to clean your SD card (reformat) on a PC and then insert to CAM.

Please report if this helps.

I found such solution

+Remove battery. Unplug charger. Press and hold the power button for 20 - 30 seconds. While still holding the power button, re-insert the battery and/or plug in the charger. Voila! Came back to life and worked like nothing ever happened.+

+I also did the same thing with the record button, but it was the power button that got the result.+

+Hope this helps!+

Raffie

20. Re: Camileo S30 Will Not Power Up Issue ?
    Beginner
    I was dismayed as I read this thread after buying the S30 direct from Toshiba in July 2012. Camera was great on holiday, good results and worked fine for 8 weeks. So very happy.
    Then put on charge 3 days ago.

Battery seemed to charge ok but now S30 doesn't switch on with flip up screen!
    Have managed to get it working by removing battery, replacing then plug in ext power. and press power button. It then appears to switch on and off ok.

Leave it off for half an hour and it won't switch on without battery in/out routine.
    Took SD card out to work on internal memory and still the same.

Now registered a return with Toshiba under warranty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast