Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite C660 - Windows 7 64bit BSOD after upgrading RAM

1. Satellite C660 - Windows 7 64bit BSOD after upgrading RAM
    Beginner
    Hi Guys

my laptop Specs: Satellite C660-1JG
    - Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit (pre-installed, Toshiba-HDD recovery)
    - Intel® Celeron® Processor T3500
    - 2048 MB DDR3 RAM (800MHz).

recently I upgrade my RAM to 4 GB (2+2 GB), since installation, as soon windows7 64 bit start loading, ended up with BSOD. sometime windows loads fine but within a minute or two BSOD appears. I can confirm that it does read the full RAM of 4GB, I checked while laptop was on for 2 or 3 minutes ON. then I take out 1 RAM stick laptop is fine, no BSOD!!

so question raises if RAM is at fault, mismatch etc. but I have dual boot OS and other OS is Ubuntu 11. that reads the RAM 3.84GB, and no crashing or BSOD or any issue.

Then I installed Windos 7 32 bit to check if that still has issues with 4GB RAM, but NO, 32 bit reads RAM as 4GB(Usable 2.8GB). no crashing or BSOD with 32 version, only problem with 64 bit windows!!!!
    I checked specification it says Max RAM 4GB Ram and yes it does support 4GB RAM with Linux and win7 32 bit.

I tried to upgrade BIOS to 1.20 version(currently is on 1.40), but always got error ::: Firmware does not have Flash (AFUWINGUI)support!!
    just wondering if any of you can guide me to right direction.
    Thanks in advance
    Regards

2. Re: Satellite C660 - Windows 7 64bit BSOD after upgrading RAM
    Master
    I cannot say for sure but maybe BSOD occurs due to compatibility problem.
    Which RAM have you bought as additional module (brand and specification)?

3. Re: Satellite C660 - Windows 7 64bit BSOD after upgrading RAM
    Beginner
    thanks for your reply, as***.
    before I buy bought ram I ran crucial RAM identification software, I bought RAM specified by CRUCIAL memory.
    but now , and also I ran memtest+ and it showed no error and showed both memory sticks of same speed 0f 800Mhz, but than no prob with win7 32 bit and ubuntu, but and only with win 64. i can understand win 7 32 bit will recognise only upto 3GB(2.8GB usable) of RAM, and it is correct to identify correct RAM. i was thinking compatibility issue, but then no problem whatsoever with other OSs, but only with 64 bit version. hard to explain why??!! a simple google search can shows there are issues with win 7 64 bit
    with 32 bit I can use as normal and NOW, I m using my laptop while running 32 windows7.

I am sure its not faulty RAM or hardware issue but rather its software issue with win 7 64. if it was compaibility issue why it was not picked or shown problem by windows 7 32 bit or linux Oss, rather, now I m using win 32 bit and can use laptop without any issue. but its pity I cannot use my favourite OS for what i paid for

4. Re: Satellite C660 - Windows 7 64bit BSOD after upgrading RAM
    Master
    Hi

>recently I upgrade my RAM to 4 GB (2+2 GB), since installation, as soon windows7 64 bit start loading, ended up with BSOD. sometime windows loads fine but within a minute or two BSOD appears. I can confirm that it does read the full RAM of 4GB, I checked while laptop was on for 2 or 3 minutes ON. then I take out 1 RAM stick laptop is fine, no BSOD!!

But the BSOD does NOT appear using Win 7 64bit and the original RAM modules.
    Right?

Well, in your case I would still recommend testing the notebook using other RAM modules other manufacturer. For example Kingston. I read here in the forum about RAM compatibility issues and in most cases the problems gone using Kingston RAM modules…