Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Win7 Graphic driver for NB550D needed

1. Win7 Graphic driver for NB550D needed
    Beginner
    Hello all,
    Im installing the 32bit version of Windows 7 on the netbook for my father, The upgrade anytime wouldn't work going from starter to professional. So a clean install was needed, Everything has installed however the ATI graphics driver doesn't install. The Download is fine it unpacks its self and then does nothing. Has anybody has problems like this or has a solution to the problem.

Regards
    TubaMagna8

2. Re: Graphics on NB550D
    Beginner
    Well try and be a little more specific. Did you download the driver from Toshiba's support page or from amd.com?

3. Re: Graphics on NB550D
    Beginner
    I downloaded the driver from toshiba, as I couldn't find the driver on the amd/ati site. It has the C-60 Processor.

Regards
    TubaMagna8

4. Re: Graphics on NB550D
    Beginner
    I think the problem is the display driver rather than the graphics driver. I have installed Windows 7 Professional, and it works well, except that everything on the screen is now 'egg' shaped!

The display is now reported as a 'default monitor' running at 600 x 800. Options to update the driver are greyed out.

NN

5. Re: Graphics on NB550D
    Beginner
    Hi

Did anyone find a solution to this? I have exactly the same problem and Toshiba support were unable to provide the driver. The ATI package you download from the website does nort include a ".inf" file for the 6290 chip.

6. Re: Graphics on NB550D
    Beginner
    Got it - go to the "ASUS" site and download the drivers from there. Do a "Update Driver" from the hardware manager and point it at the files from "ASUS". Screen works as it should now. Well done Toshiba for keeping your website up to date :(

7. Re: Graphics on NB550D
    Beginner
    Can you be a bit more specific about which Asus driver to download and how to find it?

Thanks.

8. Re: Graphics on NB550D
    Beginner
    BTW do you think it will work with Win 7 Ultimate... has anyone done that?

9. Re: Win7 Graphic driver for NB550D needed
    Beginner
    Same problem here. I just got a NB550D-111, installed Windows 7 Home Premium x86 and have managed to install all the drivers fine except the display driver.

I used the "Detect my machine" on Toshiba UKs site and downloaded the "Display Driver" - you run it and it does nothing, just goes back to desktop. I manually ran setup from the temp files and it just installed the ATI CCC, but no driver.

10. Re: Win7 Graphic driver for NB550D needed
    Beginner
    Link is here

http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_PC/Eee_PC_1215B/#download

11. Re: Win7 Graphic driver for NB550D needed
    Beginner
    Unfortunately that does not work for Win 7 Ultimate,

Has anyone had success with any other Win 7 apart from Starter?

Thanks for link anyway I shall now try Win 7 Pro.

12. Re: Win7 Graphic driver for NB550D needed
    Beginner
    I haven't used the link above; but I did Google the PCI vendor id/device ID for the card and found a generic site with some drivers that worked a treat, fairly sure they were for an asus netbook.

Sorry I can't recall where; it was a long day and the netbook is now all wrapped up for xmas!

This was on Windows 7 Home Prem x86.

Annoyingly the card is gobbling nearly 400mb of memory too (1.6gb usable to windows).. have to figure out how to reduce that at some point.

Thumbs down to Tosh for not providing working video drivers - I mean, why are they even on the download page for this model if they don't even work?

13. Re: Win7 Graphic driver for NB550D needed
    Beginner
    Ok, Toshiba Tech help sorted this out for me.

Firstly, don't upgrade but install fresh. I got a new HD and fresh install of Win 7 Ultimate on my NB550D.

After getting the drivers from the Toshiba site then go to
    http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

1/ Notebook Graphics
    2/ Radeon HD Series
    3/ Radeon HD 6xxxM series
    4/ Windows 7 - 32 bit (for me)
    5/ I think you can sort it from there...

Good luck, it was good to see round icons at last.

14. Re: Win7 Graphic driver for NB550D needed
    Beginner
    Hi!

At first the facts: I bought a NB550D-119, Windows 7 Professional 32-Bit with Service Pack 1( of course i installed it)

So my problem is the same as described above. I cant install the Display Driver provided from Toshiba. It starts but then nothing happens. I tried both ways you guys described, the one with Asus and also the last one directly from AMD/ATI.

When i try the first way i cant find the Radeon 6290 in HW-Manager list. When i try the second way i downloaded the Catalyst Package and also the Software Package(optional). But the Catalyst Package says he cant find the device!

I really dont know what to do :(

Please somebody help me!

15. Re: Win7 Graphic driver for NB550D needed
    Beginner
    Hi people!

*I solved* my problem on my own and decided participate my own way to the solution for everybody who has the same problem :)

So at first as the user above described you will have to install Win7 new, dont upgrade!
    The next thing you do is to unpack the file ahci-20110126155732. You get this file directly at Toshiba. Let the file unpack automatically. The next step is to unpack the Display Driver file display-20110622165525.

But this time you will have to unpack it "on your own".
    When you double-click the file you will see TC40155300A. If you double-click again you can choose Options and unpack the file wherever you want.

Then you must have an folder with the same name above display........!
    Now go to your Hardware or Device Manager and choose your graphic card.
    Go to actualize your driver. Choose to do it from your pc/device and guide it to the place where you unpacked the file display....The next steps will follow as: Packages->Drivers->Display->W7_INF.

The next point is to take off the hook on the top off the page abou Compability. Push forward and you will see a list whereyou can choose Radeon HD 6290.Press forward and install even the system warns you. Now you restart your system.

Your resolution should be higher now :)

16. Re: Win7 Graphic driver for NB550D needed
    Master
    Hey thank you for this useful posting. :)

17. Re: Win7 Graphic driver for NB550D needed
    Just for info:
    This thread might be useful too;
    http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=65605