Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege R830: SSD SATA connector replacement with standard connector.

1. Portege R830: SSD SATA connector replacement with standard connector.
    Beginner
    Can i obtain a standard sata connector termination to the sata ribbon which current connects from the MB to the toshiba SSD?

When I bought the machine a few months ago I didn't realise that you used a propriatory connector between the mother board and the SSD drive.

I want to replace the current drive with a 500GB HDD. Can I get hold of a ribbon to replace the existing one with a standard SATA termination.

Thanks

Jane

2. Re: Portege R830 SSD SATA connector replacement with standard connector.
    Akuma
    Will a standard 2.5" HDD fit in there?

Maybe a Toshiba Service Center can help you, there is an ASP list on the website.

3. Re: Portege R830: SSD SATA connector replacement with standard connector.
    Master
    Maybe this thread could help you:
    http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=244480

4. Re: Portege R830: SSD SATA connector replacement with standard connector.
    Beginner
    or in more simple terms you need the replacement cable, which is order number P000531410.

then rip the bottom off the laptop to replace the cable on the system board.

other option if your struggling for space is to use an external HDD that connects with eSATA, this will keep the speeds up but mean you can still run the lightning quick boot times from the original SSD.

i have recently gone back to a HDD as a boot drive and its just soooooo slow after the SSD that its painful. cant wait to get my SSD back!

5. Re: Portege R830: SSD SATA connector replacement with standard connector.
    Beginner
    Thanks for the response...

I called Toshiba support who were unable to help, in fact they said they could not provide the part.

How did you find the part no? Just so I don't have to bother you to verify before I buy.

Thanks

Chris

6. Re: Portege R830: SSD SATA connector replacement with standard connector.
    Master
    The link posted by Paolo is about the same theme.
    In other thread the user +aviette+ was able to order the cable for 20€
    I googled for the part number and was able to find some online stores… so don’t see any big problems to get such part.