Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Toshiba Hotkey utility doesn't work

1. Toshiba Hotkey utility doesn't work
    Beginner
    Dear Friends,
    I recently deleted a tonne of spyware and adware from my Satellite (I followed nortons antivirus advice to the letter), but now I have lost all sound on the laptop and I get the message...
    TouchED Error
    Retrieval of THotkey failed
    0x00031402, 0x00000002
    ...on start up. I also notice that the FN key/Escape volume mute doesnt function either (so I cant turn the sound on or off. Does anyone know how I can retrieve this situation, the registry was backed up before I did the removals but it still does not work with the back up.

Thanks.
    Chris..

2. Re: Toshiba Hotkey utility doesn't work
    Enthusiast
    Hi chris,

it would be nice when you could tell us which satellite and OS do you have and if there is a Toshiba Recovery installation or a MS installation.

It seems that your Norton Software had damaged or deleted a related file of the Thotkey utility. Did you check the Safe mode and reinstall the THotkey utility?

Bye Rudi

3. Re: Toshiba Hotkey utility doesn't work
    Beginner
    I have the same problem. Installed SP2 and now, even though I have restored to earlier date, all hotkeys no longer work including Fn shortcuts, eg brightness, volume, lcd switching and Internet keys.

HELP!!!!
    Cheers
    Chris

4. Re: Toshiba Hotkey utility doesn't work
    Beginner
    Hi, my name is Egbert, from The Netherlands,

the same problem here after installing Upgrade MS-Windows XP-Pro on my new P20-771. The hotkey Internet and T-button don't work anymore. Also de buttons from de DVD-drive on the frontsite refuse everything. How, Why and more?

Hope to hear something soon.

5. Re: Toshiba Hotkey utility doesn't work
    Enthusiast
    Hi to all,

after upgrading or SP2 installation you have to reinstall some drivers and tools. On the Toshiba homepage you could found a SP2 update information.

Go to http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com and then to Drivers & Downloads.

When you had chosen your machine you could also download the FN-esse, Toshiba Hotkeyutility and the Toshiba Common Modules.

A short advice: After upgrade or a complete MS base new installation you have to update your drivers and utilities like the installation order on the Tools & Utilities CD describes.

Chris