Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite Pro C660-v10 does not boot: pxe-e61 media test failure

1. Satellite Pro C660-v10 does not boot: pxe-e61 media test failure
    Beginner
    Hi,

laptop was accidentally dropped, worked okay at first but now won't load,
    using f12 key to boot menu, the screen says,

pxe-e61 media test failure-check cable.
    also pxe-m0f; exiting
    pxe rom, operating system not found. can anyone please explain waht this means?

2. Re: sat pro c660-v10 not loading
    The codes you are getting relate to the computer "setting itself up" before loading Windows and finding either what must be there missing or something that the BIOS says is there but missing. I believe the "check cable" message is generated when the pre-execution enviroment (pxe) looks for a device on a known connection and gets no response. This could be that a cable is not connected or the cable is perfect but the device is "broken" and is not responding to the pxe request.

I don't know anything about c660.
    Can you access the BIOS? - is there anything greyed out or missing.
    Can you change the boot order so that the CD is first and then see if the computer can start to run from a Windows CD.

(I would think its the HDD - I would think a mechanical device is more likely to give up than the electronics)

3. Re: Satellite Pro C660-v10 does not boot: pxe-e61 media test failure
    > pxe-e61 media test failure-check cable.
    > pxe-m0f; exiting
    >pxe rom, operating system not found.
    > can anyone please explain waht this means

Hi

The PXE error appears in most cases because the notebook cannot boot from HDD or CD-DVD drive and switches to LAN.

Maybe there is a lose contact between the HDD and HDD controller.

Check this. Open the HDD bay and check if the HDD is connected properly.

If the HDD would be not recognized even if the connection is OK, then I would say that your HDD is faulty and needs to be replaced.