Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege M200 BIOS update running Windows 7?

1. Portege M200 BIOS update running Windows 7?
    Beginner
    Hi,

I recently picked up a Portege M200 and installed (via PXE - network install) Windows 7 on it. I would like to upgrade the BIOS as it's still at the original BIOS (1.1). I downloaded and extracted the pkg and tried to install via Windows but it says my OS isn't supported. I don't have an external CD drive or FDD - how can I update the BIOS? I tried to put it on a USB drive but there doesn't seem to be an option to boot from USB.

Thanks!
    Jerry

2. Re: Portege M200 BIOS update running Windows 7?
    Beginner
    Ok, I'm thinking I could use an SD card but I see it's not recognized by Windows 7 and when I put in a card, nothing happens...

Anyone know where I can find a driver for it? I do see there are 2 devices not recognized - one "Base System Device" and one "Unknown Device"...

And I see it doesn't recognize the video card either - just uses Standard VGA Graphics Adapter which seems to work fine...

3. Re: Portege M200 BIOS update running Windows 7?
    > I downloaded and extracted the pkg and tried to install via Windows but it says my OS isn't supported. I don't have an external CD drive or FDD - how can I update the BIOS?

Seems that BIOS cannot be updated because Win 7 is not officially supported on this oldie.
    However, as far as I know the VAP (value added package) is necessary to run a BIOS update. So try to install the VAP. Choose this tool which is released for other notebook models.

> Anyone know where I can find a driver for it? I do see there are 2 devices not recognized - one "Base System Device" and one "Unknown Device"...

Check this:
    http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/ann.jspa?annID=78
    This describes how to find drivers for unknown devices.