Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite A660: HW setup. Error1316 Network error occured

1. Satellite A660: HW setup. Error1316 Network error occured
    Beginner
    I have an annoying problem on my Satellite A660 that I cant fix. I have lost the use of my function keys as well as the flash card function. It seems to be related to the HW setup utility which wont open.

When I click on the icon this message comes up “This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way”. I have tried to reinstall Hwsetup but it will not do so either by reinstallation or uninstallation and this message appears, “T/ hw setup. Error1316 Network error occured while attempting to read from C. \Windows\installer\Toshiba Hardware Setup.msi

Error 1603 fatal error. Consult windows installer help (msi.chm) or MSDN for more info.

I have downloaded a fresh copy of Hwsetup but still no change. I have also tried to restore from much earlier restore points but again nothing changes. Would very much appreciate any advice, cheers Jeff

2. Re: Satellite A660: HW setup. Error1316 Network error occured
    Master
    Hi

Possibly this error message is related to registry issue
    I found a same error message in the MS knowledge base article. The error appeared while you upgrade an existing installation to Office 2000.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/263253

I think you should clean the registry using CCleaner.
    First of all uninstall the Toshiba HW setup Utility.
    Then uninstall the VAP (value added package)
    Then reboot the notebook.
    Now run the CCleaner and clean the registry and remove temporal files.
    Reboot the notebook.
    Run the CCleaner once again to ensure that registry is cleaned properly.
    Reboot once again and then install VAP.
    Reboot once again and install HW setup.

Good luck

3. Re: Satellite A660: HW setup. Error1316 Network error occured
    Beginner
    Many thanks but unfortunately I can't uninstall HWsetup. It almost goes through and then the error message comes up and it rolls back the action which means I am unable to go any further.

Have even tried deleting HWsetup from Program files then doing ccleaner then trying to install hwsetup again but the installation package will only ask me if I wish to uninstall it not reinstall it even though its not on the hard disc,

Any other suggestions, cheers, Jeff

4. Re: Satellite A660: HW setup. Error1316 Network error occured
    Hi

> Have even tried deleting HWsetup from Program files then doing ccleaner then trying to install hwsetup again but the installation package will only ask me if I wish to uninstall it not reinstall it even though its not on the hard disc,

This means that there is still some garbage of the HWsetup in the registry.
    What to say; I use CCLeaner also and the CCleaner contains a option which helps to uninstall the installed applications too.
    You should check this… you should also clean the registry several times.
    I think registry still contains a lot trance of HWsetup and it’s necessary to run CCleaner (registry cleaning) more than one time.

Otherwise you will need to delete the HWSetup traces manually but this is risky because you could damage the registry which means that the OS would not function properly.

The last resort would be new system recovery but I don’t know if it’s a option for you

5. Re: Satellite A660: HW setup. Error1316 Network error occured
    Beginner
    I have made some progress on this using Microsoft Fix it I have been able to uninstall Toshiba Hardware set up and then reinstall it plus I have done several registry cleanups. This has enabled me to get my flash cards back but only by using the mouse. The function button is still inoperable and I still cant open hardware setup. On every attempt to open H/W setup an error box titled; Microsoft Visual C ++ Runtime Library with the words inside the box saying; This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way, still appears. It seems to be a windows problem now rather than a Toshiba problem. Would appreciate any clues, Jeff

6. Re: Satellite A660: HW setup. Error1316 Network error occured
    Beginner
    Hi, I have exactly the same problem and can not find the solution. could you solve the problem? can you help me somehow? for me it is impossible to uninstall hardware setup of my a660, and visual c ++ error keeps appearing whenever I run hwsetup

Thank you

7. Re: Satellite A660: HW setup. Error1316 Network error occured
    Master
    Would recommend you to visit firstly the Microsoft support page in order to check for possible 1316 error solutions:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/search/SupportResults.aspx?form=mssupport&q=Error%201316

8. Re: Satellite A660: HW setup. Error1316 Network error occured
    Beginner
    I still carry the fn keys. It seems amazing that anyone from toshiba answer to our problems. whenever I run hw setup the message of visual c ++. I have uninstalled and reinstalled hw setup and valuepack flascards and it means nothing. by the way the kenotify utility is not installed.

9. Re: Satellite A660: HW setup. Error1316 Network error occured
    *@ fmazarro*

You issue isn’t an Toshiba problem even if you try to install Toshiba tool.
    I installed the tools on my system and everything is working properly.

Defective or out-of-date third-party software components (for example, codecs, plug-ins, and drivers) cause many instances of problems that return strings containing "C++ Runtime Error. Be sure to update all third-party software if you receive such an error message.