Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Can not adjust screen brightness on Satellite Pro L650

1. Can not adjust screen brightness on Satellite Pro L650
    Beginner
    Hello,
    I am running Windows 7 64bits on my Toshiba Satellite Pro L650 and I can not adjust the screen brightness. Button Fn+F6 and Fn+F7 are not working and there is no entry for that in the control panel.
    I tried to download the VAP drivers 1.4.1 as explained in the Toshiba bulletin assistance but it does not exist for this model.

Would you please help me for that ?
    Thanks
    Pierre

2. Re: Can not adjust screen brightness on Satellite Pro L650
    Master
    Do you use original OS that you got with your notebook or own OS installation?

As far as I know this must work with “factory settings”. Have you changed anything?
    Can you use other FN fnctions?

3. Re: Can not adjust screen brightness on Satellite Pro L650
    Beginner
    Thank you for your answer.
    Yes, original Windows7 64bits, just standard Windows updates when it was asking for. I really think I did not change anything else and neither intall any drivers
    Others Fn+Fx work well and Fn+F6 or F7 show me a brightness cursor with "Level 1" written on it but it is not working.
    I found out a VAP driver v1.5.4.64 but it is for Satellite L770, Satellite Pro L770, Satellite L775, Satellite C670 and not mine. Could I try it anyway?
    Thanks
    Pierre

4. Re: Can not adjust screen brightness on Satellite Pro L650
    Master
    Can you change display brightness level in power plan settings?

And yes, which notebook model do you have exactly (L650-xxx)?

5. Re: Can not adjust screen brightness on Satellite Pro L650
    Beginner
    No, no brightness module appears. Not in power plan settings, not in Windows mobility center.
    My laptop is Satellite Pro L650 - 168 ; part number: PSK1KE

6. Re: Can not adjust screen brightness on Satellite Pro L650
    Master
    Hmmmmm..... something is wrong there. Can you please reinstall display driver and test it again.

7. Re: Can not adjust screen brightness on Satellite Pro L650
    Beginner
    I just finished reinstalling Display driver ATI Windows 7 64bits v8.723.2. The same result, no way to change the brightness of the screen.
    I just found another way: from ATI software Catalyst Control Center, advanced, desktop properties, reactivate ATI color commands and then you can adjust the brightness from ATI tools.
    It does not fix my laptop problem but it helps my eyes!

Thank you for your help, if you have any ideas how to get back Fn+F6 or F7 working, I am still looking for anyway

8. Re: Can not adjust screen brightness on Satellite Pro L650
    Master
    Hi buddy,

> I found out a VAP driver v1.5.4.64 but it is for Satellite L770, Satellite Pro L770, Satellite L775, Satellite C670 and not mine. Could I try it anyway?
    Yes, you can try it and it will work for your model too because Value Added Package is not notebook specific tool. So you can install it, just make sure it’s for Windows 7 64bit.

After Value Added Package install Flash Cards Support Utility as well. You can find it on Toshiba website. If you can’t find it, look for models. As VAP, it’s not notebook specific. ;)

Check this!!!

9. Re: Can not adjust screen brightness on Satellite Pro L650
    Beginner
    control panel- display- settings- advanced- color
    You change the brightness settings here! Hope this helps...

10. Re: Can not adjust screen brightness on Satellite Pro L650
    Beginner
    Quote Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
    Hello,
    I am running Windows 7 64bits on my Toshiba Satellite Pro L650 and I can not adjust the screen brightness. Button Fn+F6 and Fn+F7 are not working and there is no entry for that in the control panel.
    I tried to download the VAP drivers 1.4.1 as explained in the Toshiba bulletin assistance but it does not exist for this model.

Would you please help me for that ?
    Thanks
    Pierre
    I think I found the solution! Check that your monitor itself is active or "enabled" as a device in the device manager tab. Hope this helps! I have a Toshiba Satellite E45DW-C

11. Re: Can not adjust screen brightness on Satellite Pro L650
    Beginner
    i solved it on my satellite pro by going to power management and setting both under battery and power to maximum brightness. it looke dlike it wasnt going to do anything but when I exited it was ...maximum bright!