Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Re: Satellite P750-02Q SATA hard disk question (type and number)

1. Satellite P750-02Q SATA hard disk question (type and number)
    Beginner
    Hi, I am thinking to upgrade the hard disk of my Satellite P750-02Q, but I don't know what SATA type it is (SATA I or SATA II or SATA III), and how many disk can it support? I am thinking to slot in a SSD disk in there, but if it can support 2 SATA disks, I can use the existing 750GB 5400rpm drive as the second storage.

Appreciate your thoughts/answers.

Thanks in advance!

2. Re: Satellite P750-02Q SATA hard disk question (type and number)
    Master
    Remove HDD cover and built-in HDD. On the HDD label you can find all these info. Buy the same HDD but with more capacity.
    I have older P500 and cannot say for sure if your P750 can be upgraded with second HDD. If yes there must be HDD cover for second HDD. Remove it and check if the HDD connector is available.

3. Re: Satellite P750-02Q SATA hard disk question (type and number)
    Assuming you have two drive bays then you will have to locate (or make) a caddy and securing screws. The P500 2nd drive bay is deeper (takes 1Tb drives) than the one populated by Toshiba and requires a dedicated caddy. I would guess your drive will be SATA 2 (AKA SATA 300). It will be a toshiba drive so get the model number from Device Manager and search here [http://storage.toshiba.eu/cms/en/] (there are several Toshiba storage sites so google if you can't find it there. I don't know how to establish the laptops maximum SATA speed and I would buy any make of SATA 2 drive balancing capacity against cost. I'm currently running 750Gb Samsung and 500Gb Toshiba. The Samsung replaced the orignal Toshiba 500Gb boot disc that at 20 months turned into a brick that at best was recognised as a storage device of an unknown type/capacity

4. Re: Satellite P750-02Q SATA hard disk question (type and number)
    Master
    Hi buddy,

Generally speaking it makes no difference if you buy SATA I, SATA II or SATA III. The physical interface is always the same, only the transfer speed is different (SATA III is best one) but thatís not important for normal HDDs because they are too slow. Only SSD drives can use the fast SATA III interface but they also run on SATA II or I interface.

So donít worry. Just make sure itís 2.5Ē drive with SATA interface. ;)

5. Re: Satellite P750-02Q SATA hard disk question (type and number)
    Beginner
    Thanks everyone or your reply, all very helpful. Just for everyone's benefit, the HDD model number is MK7575GSX. Didn't really find it on that Toshiba storage site and haven't really done further research, but I'm just going to get the SATA II SSD anyway cause they are backward compatible as PinkPhanter said :)

Oh and the P750 only supports 1 HDD :( My older A300 supports 2, chose the wrong notebook, oh well, at least this is now much faster hehehe

Message was edited by: iggy77

6. Re: Satellite P750-02Q SATA hard disk question (type and number)
    Master
    Great and thank you for feedback!

If you need more storage you can buy an external HDD and connect it to fast eSATA port. Thatís really great :)