Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Re: Driver and Toshiba Tool support after Satellite has been discontinued

1. Driver and Toshiba Tool support after Satellite has been discontinued
    Beginner
    Hi all,

I bought a Tosh laptop a year ago and I like to keep the programs and services up to date.
    When I visited the site the other day I notice my laptop model is now discontinued...someone else in the family just got a new Tosh laptop and I noticed many of the basic Toshiba programs and services are much newer than mine.

Does anyone know how long we get updates for? End of warranty? End of production?
    I've downloaded a similar, newer Tosh's programs and they work great - I don't know why my previous Tosh software updaters didn't give them to me. Of course some newer models will have some newer features which won't be compatible with mine.

Has anyone else noticed this about their laptop?
    Very quickly after purchase, the software support dries up...

I attended the Windows 7 launch and was given a free Ultimate disk which is just lying there.
    I'm thinking about slipstreaming the newer updates into it, and I notice I can add newer driver updates. I'm beginning to think my laptop's software has reached the end of the line for backup and recovery - maybe slipstreaming a retail Windows disk with newer Toshiba programs and drivers would be better for future reinstallation. What do other users think/do?

Thanks

2. Re: Driver and Toshiba Tool support after Satellite has been discontinued
    Hi

You can always download the drivers, tools and utilities for Toshiba notebooks even if the notebook is not more available on the market.
    Even the drivers for very old Toshiba notebooks are read for download.

You have to visit the Toshiba European driver page and have to select Archive in the first category “Product type”.
    Drivers for older notebook series are moved to the Archive and can be found there.

Greets

3. Re: Driver and Toshiba Tool support after Satellite has been discontinued
    Beginner
    I'm not looking for drivers today, that wasn't my question. Anyone else?

4. Re: Driver and Toshiba Tool support after Satellite has been discontinued
    Akuma
    What model do you have?

Some models simply don't match or exceed the Windows 7 system requirements, or have compatibility problems.

Many models that came with Vista have Win7 drivers available, check this website: http://support.toshiba-tie.co.jp/windows7/drivers_au.htm

We can't really expect Toshiba or any other manufacturer to release the latest and greatest driver for every device, every model, and every OS. Imagine all the time and effort involved in constantly quality testing and uploading thousands of drivers. If a driver is not broken, don't fix it ;)

5. Re: Driver and Toshiba Tool support after Satellite has been discontinued
    Beginner
    True, I know we can't expect the latest and the greatest forever. But for how long? I have my laptop literally one year and I see that the software updaters have given up. But I just seen that on the website it says my model is now discontinued, so do the software updaters work for the 1 year warranty or until the model is discontinued? Has anyone else noticed their software just gave up after a while? Is it any use then - keeping the software updaters if you've had your laptop for a year...they won't do anything. I'm not being negative - I just like to keep all my software and drivers up to date and I notice the software gives up after a while.

6. Re: Driver and Toshiba Tool support after Satellite has been discontinued
    Beginner
    Thanks for the reply. I posted in a few places only because I was afraid that some areas may not get a lot of attention and may not get a reply.

I agree that Tosh etc. can't go after every laptop on every OS. But is it really difficult to leave all laptops released on say Windows 7 to have updated of compatible software say. Service Station - for newer drivers and software. I can't imagine that's difficult...and just to put these pieces together - our laptops receive new drivers and software for one year, and after that nothing? Would we not better at that point uninstalling the Toshiba-controlled drivers and then let Microsoft let Windows Update keep everything tidy and clean?

1. When I got my laptop, the sound was constantly cutting out with DVDs and iTunes, the first sound driver update fixed that.
    2. If I reinstall my laptop, the native wirelss lan driver doesn't work at all.

So the driver updates can mean something works or not...:)

7. Re: Driver and Toshiba Tool support after Satellite has been discontinued
    Master
    We still don’t know which notebook model do you have.
    I just want to check which operating systems are supported.

Do you have some problems and ask for updates?

If you have some specific problem you can always check if newer BIOS update is available or certain driver. It's no big deal.
    What else should be updated?

8. Re: Driver and Toshiba Tool support after Satellite has been discontinued
    Master
    Hi firerabbit,

Can you post your exact notebook model please? You can find this information on bottom side of your unit.

Without this information it’s a never ending story because everything would be possible…

9. Re: Driver and Toshiba Tool support after Satellite has been discontinued
    Beginner
    Hi all,

I'm using the Toshiba Satellite L500-1XL 2GB RAM, Single Core Celeron 2.2Gz, 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium. If you need any more details just ask. Some parts of the laptop say it was built April 2010, even though I'm desperate to upgrade from an ancient Intel single core...

What's out of date? I've downloaded updated versions of nearly every Toshiba program that was pre-installed. Assist, Bulletin Boards, Service station, graphics, sound etc. I did get a few updates during my one year of use, but now that I was browsing the drivers of updated Tosh models, I check the installed progs. on my laptop and found the version numbers are way behind...I got to manually install the updates so, but I'm not sure if it will continue to update itself from there.

I play around with my laptop a lot, testing various linuxes etc. always playing with partitions and backing up, and I found a free and I believe legal program to modify your own Windows install if you have a legal install disk, which I do (Windows 7 launch event) so I wonder now that service pack 1 is out, would I be better to slipstream service pack one, and all the toshiba drivers and programs that have been updated rather than stick with the disk I received with the laptop?

Any other comments? Any of you guys bought a laptop and noticed the software updaters give up after it's first year? I like my stuff up to date and with the latest features and innovations...

Cheers

10. Re: Driver and Toshiba Tool support after Satellite has been discontinued
    Master
    Hi

The Satellite L500-1XL belongs to the PSLS0E series.
    The Toshiba European driver page provides the Win XP, Win 7 32bit and 64bit drivers for this notebook model and you will be able to download the drivers always.

But you asked for updates; well, in such case I have to say that Akuma is right.
    But at the other hand there are many Toshiba tools and Utilities which are not related to a specific notebook series;
    For example tools like: VAP (Toshiba Value Added Package), Flash Card Support Utility, Bulletin Board, BT stack, touchpad driver, Eco Utility, Face Recognition, etc…
    All these software run on different notebook models and this means that you can choose such tools which are released for newer notebook series. And in such case the tools are up to date.

> I play around with my laptop a lot, testing various linuxes etc. always playing with partitions and backing up, and I found a free and I believe legal program to modify your own Windows install if you have a legal install disk, which I do (Windows 7 launch event) so I wonder now that service pack 1 is out, would I be better to slipstream service pack one, and all the toshiba drivers and programs that have been updated rather than stick with the disk I received with the laptop?

Well, I would use the Toshiba recovery disk only to set the notebook back to factory settings. This can be useful if you have some strange problems with the notebook and want to check if it’s software or hardware related issue.

If you want to create a own installation disk using a clean Microsoft Win 7 disk then I would recommend to add the SP1 to the disk and some common and really necessary drivers like display driver, LAN, WLan, chipset, touchpad… all other tools can be added after the OS installation.