Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege M200 won't install Product Recovery.

1. Portege M200 won't install Product Recovery.
    Beginner
    Hello.

I have a Toshiba Portege M200 laptop (Model No: PPM20A-00LG4). Three years ago I ran the product recovery program and discs to get a clean XP Pro installation. I then loaded all the service packs from the internet. Everything worked fine and the laptop perfermed very well.

Recently the laptop was quite slow, so I decided to do this again.

I have booted the laptop from the recovery program on the external CD-ROM drive. It reformatted the HDD etc. I then installed the four quantity Product Recovery CD-ROMs, as prompted by the on screen installation menu and the laptop appeared to accept these. Then when promted to "remove disc from drive and press any key" the laptop reboots but just displays a white blinking curser against a black screen, for hours. Nothing happens.

After pressing any key to reboot, the Toshiba flash appears with the various boot sources, the HDD is first, then just the blinking curser. I have tried to re-boot the laptop but get the same routine and then the blinking curser.

I would really appreciate any clues for diagnosis.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

2. Re: Portege M200 won't install Product Recovery.
    Master
    Hey,

The blinking cursor means that the operating system canít be started. For me it sounds like that something went wrong during Windows installation.

I would recommend reinstalling Windows again so boot from Toshiba recovery disk and follow the screen instructions. With other words do the same steps as you have already done and check what happens.

Such things that installation doesnít work properly can happen without special reason. So donít worry and just test it again. ;)

3. Re: Portege M200 won't install Product Recovery.
    > Then when promted to "remove disc from drive and press any key" the laptop reboots but just displays a white blinking curser against a black screen, for hours. Nothing happens.

From my experience such notebook symptoms happens mostly if something is wrong with the HDD or the partition on the HDD.
    In my case the HDD was faulty and the blinking cursor was available too.

So maybe you should test the HDD and maybe you need a new one.

4. Re: Portege M200 won't install Product Recovery.
    Beginner
    Hi. I swapped a 20Gb drive from an unsed Toshiba Satalite into the Portege M200. The Product Recovery discs installed and the laptop rebooted, and operates fine. I will now purchase a new HDD.

The original HDD was an IDE PATA 60Gb 5400RPM. Can I put a larger 7200RPM HDD into this laptop? I assume the performance would improve?

Thanks for your assistance.

5. Re: Portege M200 won't install Product Recovery.
    Master
    Hi Quink,

The IDE interface is limited to 128GB so you can use up 120GB models as far as I know. HDDs with 7200rpm should be no problem because they have the same specifications as 5400rpm models but as you already wrote they improve the performance. No big difference but a little bit.

If you have more questions just post again :)