Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege R830-10V - DVD drive makes strange sounds

1. Portege R830-10V - DVD drive makes strange sounds
    Beginner
    Hi all,
    I just bought this machine and registered the following issue:

If I put in a DVD the notebook starts to buzz very loud. This sound disappears if I put a finger on the drive. Furthermore the DVD drive starts to chatter if I press keys above the drive like the arrow keys. That bothers me very much.

I called the support of Toshiba and they said they can pick the notebook up. But it is possible that this service creates costs because maybe this problem is within the specification.

Do you have any ideas? What can I do?
    Best regards
    Denis

2. Re: Portege R830-10V - DVD drive makes strange sounds
    Master
    Hi Denis_3,

Do you notice this problem with different CDs and DVDs or just one medium? Generally speaking I have also noticed the same behavior but it happens just with one disk so the problem is the disk itself in most cases.

On this way via forum itís not easy to say what the reason is but if itís related to CD/DVD drive and the drive needs replacing it will cost you nothing because itís during warranty. Of course for non-warranty repairs you have to pay ;)

3. Re: Portege R830-10V - DVD drive makes strange sounds
    Master
    Have you tested it with different CDs and DVDs? Be sure each media is placed properly.

You have done right thing. Portege R830 is business notebook and it must work properly. Why to pay anything? If this issue is noticeable with all medias hey can exchange optical disc drive and you will get notebook your back.

4. Re: Portege R830-10V - DVD drive makes strange sounds
    Beginner
    I tried it with several DVDs. It usualy happens with video DVDs but also with the Microsoft Windows 7 DVD for example. Self burned DVDs don't make that noise but they also don't move that fast. But anyway I can hear the drive when I press the arrow keys. And I'm blind so I use this keys a lot.
    It sounds like the drive isn't fixed properly so I'll send the notebook back and I hope they kan do something. I think putting something under the drive or placing it a little bit higher should solve it but of cause I don't want to do something by myself.

5. Re: Portege R830-10V - DVD drive makes strange sounds
    Master
    You are right. Donít do anything on your own. You have new notebook with valid warranty. It will be fixed and warranty will cover all costs.

Good luck.

6. Re: Portege R830-10V - DVD drive makes strange sounds
    Beginner
    Thank you very much. I sent the notebook back and today it arived with a much more quiet DVD-drive.