Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Tecra A11-11N - After BIOS update programs don't load now

1. Tecra A11-11N - After BIOS update programs don't load now
    Beginner
    My model is Tecra A11-11N. I ran the BIOS update and some of my programs including ITunes, Nokia Ovisuite, VLC payer etc. are now not running. I tried to uninstall them and reinstall them but same problems.

Anyway to revert to pre update?

2. Re: Tecra A11-11N - After BIOS update programs don't load now
    Master
    Hi evangny,

I have also Tecra A11 in front of me and have installed newest BIOS version but this didn’t affect any installed programs. BIOS and installed programs are different.
    What you can do is loading the default settings in BIOS after the update.

Can you be a little bit more detailed?
    What happens exactly if you try to start these programs? Do you get an error message?

Do you use the preinstalled Windows version from Toshiba?

3. Re: Tecra A11-11N - After BIOS update programs don't load now
    Beginner
    The windows is the preinstalled one. Plus updates. The last updates installed were:
    Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2547666)
    Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2547666)
    Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2545698)

When I click on the programs the cursor changes for a few seconds and then nothing happens. I checked in the program manager and there are no processes associated. I tried to troublesto hoot compatibility and run with Recomended settings, I get the "this program wants to...."prompt I chose run but again nothing happens no error messages just nothing!

Thanks
    Evan

4. Re: Tecra A11-11N - After BIOS update programs don't load now
    Master
    Hi evangny,

Hmm… Maybe a Windows update has caused the problem. This would be not unusual that a Windows update does affect some programs.

In your case I would try a system restore to an earlier point. Windows 7 supports this function and it’s really easy to restore a previous point because Windows makes some backups in background.

If you want to read more about system restore check also the Microsoft page:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/System-Restore-frequently-asked-questions

For starting the system restore click on start and in the start search box type System Restore and press enter. Now follow the screen instructions.

5. Re: Tecra A11-11N - After BIOS update programs don't load now
    Beginner
    Well apparently it was not this. I reverted and the problem was not solved. I tried to troubleshoot compatibility and clicked on the send the problem to mmicrosoft option and whta I got is the very cryptic "incompatible application detected" .... Any idea how I proceed after this? Which is the incompatible application? the current one e.g. itunes which was working fine a few days ago or another one ( a virus perhaps?).

6. Re: Tecra A11-11N - After BIOS update programs don't load now
    Master
    Hi evangny,

Do you have more information about this „incompatible application“?

For me the whole story sounds really strange but from my own experience I can say it’s no BIOS problem. I think something has muddled up the OS or registry and easiest way to get rid of this would be a HDD recovery installation. This can restore the original factory settings.

You can start the HDD recovery installation in advanced boot menu of Windows (F8). Then select repair my computer and follow the screen instructions. If you need more advice check this official Toshiba document:
    http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSB85017Z0000R01.htm

7. Re: Tecra A11-11N - After BIOS update programs don't load now
    Beginner
    Thanks a lot. What I wrote before got me thinking. It actually was a virus and %$#%$#% Mc afee did not catch it. I uninstalled it and added Kaspersky ran a scan and now everything is fine. Sorry for the misdirections.
    Evan

8. Re: Tecra A11-11N - After BIOS update programs don't load now
    Master
    Happy to hear everything is OK again.

Thanks for the feedback.